• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ Crew cab.

NAXJA Forum User
I picked this up back in December. I'm sure at least some of you have seen the build thread on various sites out there...for $750 I could not pass it up.

It measures 18.5' bumper to bumper and has a 144" wheelbase.

My oldest son is 12 so we have some time to finish it before he can drive legally.

Here is a link to the original build thread and then the pic attached is of my son standing next to it in Lynchburg, TN the day we picked it up.

http://www.tnjeeps.com/topic/293-1993-quad-cab-comanche/

If the link doesn't work do a google search for quad cab Comanche...it's on Tennessee Jeeps web forums.

It's good running driving jeep as is...the only things I need to do to make it what I consider 'road worthy' is have rear doors built, have 2x6 rockers welded in and then the body work to completely finish the roof line. The PO has 1 rear door to use as a mock up so making a good door will not be hard. I will also have the 2x6 rockers tied to the angle iron that is part of the new 'uniframe' which will make it even stronger than it is now...and I think it may very well be stronger NOW than the original XJ unibody...believe it or not!

As it sits now it has a 5-6" lift and is a 4.0L AW4 2WD. We crank it up and drive it around the neighborhood all the time. Believe it or not the guy did a GREAT job on splicing these to rigs together. It is solid and very quiet when going down the road...my '87 Comanche that's highly modified BUT never been really been cut on isn't as quiet as this!

The overall plan as of now is to sell my '73 scout II (just got it but it turned out to be a rusty pile because apparently I'm BLIND). Once that's done I should hopefully have enough to get the rockers welded in , doors done, and roof done.

I have a good set of rear XJ doors from a 4 door and as seen in KPTHEMP's Project Frostbite thread I bought his original doors from that MJ. The rear opening is about 8" shorter than the length of an MJ door. The plan is to cut the MJ door just in front of the main window...essentially removing the wing window and about a foot of door section underneath it...this way the back section of new door lines up correctly with the back of the MJ cab and MJ door striker. Then use whatever length of door is needed from the XJ rear door so the body lines and hinges line up correctly for the front portion of the new door. Then the only glass I will have to get custom made for it is a small rectangular piece that will go in front of the main window...AND the MJ window will still roll up and down as it did stock.

Long term is to convert it to 4WD and regear to 4.88...luckily it has the stock MJ D-44 in the rear, put on a good winch bumper and winch and then paint it. Will be putting it on 33's or 35's. It won't really be a trail rig just due to it's length and the fact I don't want to take the chance of it folding up...BUT I really don't think that would happen...it's done right.

I can tell you there will probably be long periods of time between actual updates due to LOTS of family stuff going on now and of course money seems to never be in abundance.
I cannot wait to start driving it though!

Last edited:
Nice rig! Ive seen that build thread at one point. very cool.

That's a unique rig! I would love to see it on the trails with 60s and a set of 37 or larger tires. No matter what you do, it'll be awesome. Let us know if you need a quote for the gears when you are ready.

Yeah I wish!

I will for sure look you up when I need gears.

Yeah stock is not much of an option at this point.

I've seen pics of a couple stock height of these and they're way too long to not be lifted with at least 33's.

I'd like to convert it to late model but it's way past that now.

No real progress yet.

I've sold one of our scouts and the money will go towards this once I have it all in hand.

I have recently purchased a good set of rear 4dr XJ doors and a set of good MJ doors.

I hope to be getting estimates over the next couple months to have the 2x6 rockers welded in, roof line completed and the 'new' rear doors fabbed up.

Once those things are done (hopefully by this time next year) then it's onto paint, 4wd conversion and gears in the axles/bigger tires..

I have procured a 4wd AW4...so at least that is out of the way.

We crank her up and drive her around the neighborhood a few times a month.

We got it in Lynchburg Tennessee.

If you Google crew cab Comanche, or 4 door Comanche, or 4 door MJ you should be able to find the guys original posts on other forums. I cannot remember his screen name but I want to say his real name is Dave.

Check on comanche club. Theyll know

Back