• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
What do u guys think about Hobart's handler 175 MIG welder? Is it a decent unit? I am looking for somethign by a major brand that will weld through at least 1/4" metal in one pass. I also don't want to spend more the $550. Anything else that might be better than the Hobart for that price range? Also how hard is it to learn to weld? I have never done it before and also want to know whats involved in learning. Can i learn by reading a welding book or do i really need to take a welding class? Thanks

I have a Hobart 175 and it is great. I weld items from body panels to 1/4 without a problem. Also I am very new at this and my welds look pretty good. Just need more practice. I paid $525 delivered to my front door with a cart. If you want more info e-mail me. Good luck.

HB86XJ

The Handler line represents itself well in all respects - since Hobart is now part of Miller, support and consumables (it's already a Miller torch) should present no issues.

On the "learning" - reading will help - but you'll need to "do" to get things right - having some experienced person over your shoulder is NOT a bad idea (most classes present that way) --
if you can find a class that'll meet your needs, then classes are fine -- if you can't find a class, look for a friend in the game that can offer a little time to experiment with you.

Back