• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat tow... lights

xjintx

NAXJA Forum User
Searched but can't locate an answer :( I flat tow my 2000 Cherokee behind my F250 that has slide-in camper. I am being "Told" that I can get a wiring harness that is plug and play. Currently I have Harbor Freight magnet mount lights for brakes and turn signal on towed Jeep. Just plugs into trailer plug on Truck. Works fine but I sometimes forget to put them on and even to take them off the Jeep. :(

Anybody know about a plug and play that allows me to just use the XJ's lights?

Thanks...

I have the Roadmaster Diode towing kit on my 99 Cherokee. So far no issues. When you are done there is no feedback to existing wiring and no extra lights to hook up.

I just finished doing a diode job on my '98, purchased a 20 pack of 15 amp diodes for $6.00 and got busy.

I pulled a 16/3 s.o cord from the engine bay along the right inside to the right rear T/L area the ran a span across to the left side light.

I used a total of 13 diodes, 9 would have made due but I wanted to have both the brake and turn lights on the Heep to come on together when the brake / turn on the tow vehicle was activated. (4 wire from tow vehicle)

Took about 4 hours to complete with so interruption breaks, total cost $6.00, already have the cord and front connector in my electrical collection.

DKtool... that sounds like a nice setup but don't understand how you use / mount just diodes? I'd love more explanation or pictures. Is it activated by the trailer connector on tow vehicle?

Spliced in the diodes as needed in the leads between the taillights and their plug in connection behind the rear side panels. All additions made inside the vehicle.

I miss-spoke previously regarding diode quantity, I used a total of 11

I can draw up a schematic and post it here when I have time, as of now it's filed away in my head.

I purged my head, here's a schematic;

dwex47.jpg

It's not overly complicated on an xj, the tow bar mount uses the same holes as the factory tow hooks. Might have to pull the bumper, dont recall. The wires just get run from front to back, simple.

As an alternative to utilizing the existing XJ tail lights, connected through diodes, is to add an extra set of bulbs in each housing and eliminate any cross connection.
Eliminating the diodes also raises the voltage that the tail lights see.
I drilled a hole in each tail light housing and used a snap in tail light socket, A fresh set of four-wire cable was run from the tail lights to the front bumper where a 7-pin plug is located.
I used this tail light kit. The bulbs has since been upgraded to LEDs.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Bulb-Socket-Tail-Light-Wiring-Kit-69-p/bx8869.htm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157603323570942/with/46669859632/

3491989243_a9b5096d15.jpg

46669859632_2706c841d3.jpg

46669857912_d04e19ca50.jpg

That's a nice setup. :thumbup:

I made some mag mount lights back in the flat tow days because I had a couple different xjs to tow...but that extra bulb deal is slick.

As an alternative to utilizing the existing XJ tail lights, connected through diodes, is to add an extra set of bulbs in each housing and eliminate any cross connection.
Eliminating the diodes also raises the voltage that the tail lights see.
I drilled a hole in each tail light housing and used a snap in tail light socket, A fresh set of four-wire cable was run from the tail lights to the front bumper where a 7-pin plug is located.
I used this tail light kit. The bulbs has since been upgraded to LEDs.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Bulb-Socket-Tail-Light-Wiring-Kit-69-p/bx8869.htm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157603323570942/with/46669859632/

3491989243_a9b5096d15.jpg

46669859632_2706c841d3.jpg

46669857912_d04e19ca50.jpg
thanks- think that is what i am looking for!!

Back