• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ - '02 V-8 into '04 I-6

David_Bricker

PSR Fire Marshall
NAXJA Member
Have a neighbor who has a 2004 WJ with the 4.0 motor. Motor is about ready to die, and since it's his only daily driver, rebuilding that motor isn't practical.

There is a 2002 WJ down the street that someone rolled fairly gently (is that possible). It has V-8 in it (not sure which one). Both are automatics.

Is this a feasible swap? The engine, trans, ECU, wiring harness and anything else needs would be readily available from the 2002 donor vehicle.

David Bricker / SYR

I don't know for sure. I would imagine you'd have to have all the parts and wiring harness to make it work. I am almost sure the bolt pattern for the tranny will be different from the 4.0 to the v8. The donor is likely a 4.7 v8...which if the oil wasn't changed regularly, may not be much better than the motor that's failing him now.

What's the 4.0 doing?

mac 'might be able to weekend rebuild the 4.0' gyvr

Not sure what the 4.0 is doing. Stopped to check on the donor; didn't know what motor was in it. Weekend rebuild isn't out of the question, but a used motor might be cheaper. Folks don't have a boatload of money to toss at it.

Just looking at feasibility. If a 4.7, likely just as easy to find another 4.0 and be done with it.

David Bricker / SYR

Those 4.0s are known for losing piston skirts

Depending on the issue could just need a piston.

mac 'boatload of work' gyvr

the v8 (a 4.7) isn't a good motor. they'd be better off getting another 4.0 or another vehicle IMO.
Doing a full drivetrain swap will involve more work than anyone would want to get into for a $2000 vehicle.

The motor would be the 4.7L and I don't think it's a bad engine. We had one in a 2002 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 and it was very good to us.

You do have the best scenario in that you will have a complete donor vehicle to get everything from. All that said, it wouldn't be a simple weekend swap. If being able to get it back on the road quickly is in order, I don't think that would happen.

You will need everything from the donor..harnesses, mounts, skim, computer, tcu and the drivetrain. You'll want to swap the axles. It's all plug and play but it's very time consuming.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Back