• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ A/C bypass belt length

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.0L engine that just loves to make me mad all the time. The A/C compressor seems to keep having issues at the clutch. It's like the compressor can't keep up with engine RPM's and the causes the rubber in the clutch to debond.

Now, it says you can bypass the A/C compressor by rerouting the belt. Here is the odd part. When you look up belts, O'Reilly's shows no option for with or without A/C. I went to Autozone and it does show with or without A/C! Bad news is the part numbers are the same. Whaawhaaa??

I see no way I can reroute the belt without it being shorter. The problem is through all the searches, no one ever gives a belt number for the 4.0L, only the 5.2L V8.

Does anyone here know a number or a length? Through my research I think the belt is a 7 rib and is 15/16" in width. One guy who had a 1995 said he measured the new length at 70.5". There was no follow-up to confirm that this worked and it was also for a 1995. I don't know if belt routing is the same between a 98 and a 95 (I don't think so but I don't have a 95 to compare to).

Using string or other flexible material, run the route you take through pulleys. Measure this and get a belt that approx length.

Take a length of rope, run it through the routing without the A/C included and then measure the length of rope it took to get around. That ought to get you within an inch or so.

EDIT: Johnny beat me to it by mere seconds....

That is my next plan to get the correct belt length. I was hoping somebody had already done this before. Haha!

Ok, I found the part number.

Master Pro (O'Reilly's) K060710.

This is a 6 rib belt for the 4.0L engine. 13/16" wide and 71-1/2" long.

The guy I got the number from has confirmed the part number. I'm going to grab a spare just to have incase my A/C eats another pulley bearing.

Ok, I found the part number.

Master Pro (O'Reilly's) K060710.

This is a 6 rib belt for the 4.0L engine. 13/16" wide and 71-1/2" long.

The guy I got the number from has confirmed the part number. I'm going to grab a spare just to have incase my A/C eats another pulley bearing.

Did you route the 71.5" belt as it's shown in the "no ac" part of the diagram? I've got a 98 4.0 that I just removed the ac on too, but I can't get a 71.5" belt to go on, it's several inches too short. I looked at possibly taking off one or both of the tensioner pulleys and I don't see any way that could work either.

Sorry to resurrect the old thread, I haven't found anyone else with info on doing this on the 98 4.0.

I never tried the belt since my wife demanded the A/C be repaired. The way it was told to me and I read in several threads was the 71.5" belt would fit the "no A/C" routing shown on the header.

I guess it's back to the drawing board on this one.

Back