• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mustang 3.8 T5 and transfer case

RNMedic

NAXJA Member #659
ok guys need some help. Due to my brothers recent death, I have inherited a 1929 mercedes gazelle kit car, never titled, with a 98 Mustang 3.8 V6 and what i believe to be a T5 transmission. Prior to his death i threatened to build it as a 4wd as it sat in my barn for quite a while. Well guess what, it is going to get an XJ front axle and the rear is a 9 inch ford already. The motor is low mileage and already installed. I need a transfer case/transmission combo the will fit the Mustang 3.8, stick shift is the plan. So can I use a ranger trans/case combo? I have a 231 in the garage for one of my old XJ's, can I use it?

Thanks John

not sure if this is right , it wasn't see below

Last edited:
Well I think it may be a Ford 8 inch rear. Gotta get the body off this weekend and start cutting the front suspension off.

what year t5 is in it? My cj had a t5 and just had a 4wd tailhousing on it. the jeep dana 300 is the same stud pattern as a 231 im not sure how readily available a t5 tailhousing is but what you need exists i do believe. the tailhousings MIGHT even be interchangeable since thats where the overdrive gear is IIRC. I would prefer a 231 over a ranger case any day if possible.

sorry for your loss but a very cool project, i will be paying attention for sure

Thanks believe its a 98 t5 from the same vehicle is the engine came from. Going to call some Trans shops and see if they have any ideas. Advance apparently used to make an adapter but alas no longer. Although some s10 s used it and that would let me use a 231 hopefully. Going to be slow going I just blew the engine in my of zj.

3.8 has a small block ford bellhousing.

so anything that worked in a pickup truck with a small block or 300 I6 motor will work behind your 3.8.

Thanks that is kinda where I am heading. Novak makes an adapter to use an AX 15 or nv3550 that I think will work and allow me to keep a jeep x case and utilize my front XJ front axle. Does a ranger have a drivers side driveshaft output? just have to figure out the clutch if I go ranger and it has to be A . 3.0 ranger trans.

Thanks that is kinda where I am heading. Novak makes an adapter to use an AX 15 or nv3550 that I think will work and allow me to keep a jeep x case and utilize my front XJ front axle. Does a ranger have a drivers side driveshaft output? just have to figure out the clutch if I go ranger and it has to be A . 3.0 ranger trans.

yes the ranger is a driver drop application

If you want to keep a T-5 behind that 3.8, get a CJ version of a T-5 and use your clutch kit and bellhousing with a Jeep clutch disc (same spline count and diameter, just a slightly different shaft diameter), and get a clocking ring for the 231 and make sure you have a 23 spline input on the 231...

I think the options are a jeep ax15 with jeep case and the Novak adapter or a ranger trans with bw case. CJ t 5 is not easy to find. Ranger trans and case has less support so I think the best option is the Ax 15 with adapter. I will sell the t5 and the wheels (wires) and hopefully go with jeep gear. The full size ford trans has a shifter too far forward

If you go the route of an AX-15, would it not be cheaper to ditch the 3.8/t-5 in favor of something that the ax-15 will bolt up to? Not sure how much the bellhousing adapter costs, but seems like it would be cheaper/better to run something different than the 3.8 Ford. A V8 of sorts or a 4.0L.

That has been a thought, but in addition to the engine, low miles etc, relatively easy to wire with just the pcm and CCRM module, there is a custom Griffin radiator buuilt for it. I may have to go ranger trans, BW Xcase, not sure about the length. thanks for all the input.

I'd do the ranger stuff.
it will be cheaper, and you'll not have custom things.
You want the mazda transmission from a not 4.0 truck.
It has deeper ratios than the 4.0 one.

make sure you use ATF and not gear oil.
I've "fixed" more than one mazda manual trans that was "broken" by draining the GL-5 someone put in it and putting ATF back in. THe syncros don't work when they're filled with GL-5.

Back