• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T.H.O.R. VS Spectre

OutkastBoss

NAXJA Forum User
I am wanting to get the intake higher for my new motor After having a year or so ago my stock airbox take on water. and Seeing A pretty nice rig ingest water at Winterfest in what didnt seem that deep of water on his rig. (it survived)

Seems like the stock setup just isn't going to cut it and the last thing i need is water in the motor.

at first i thought id do a snorkle but want to do a hybrid cage one day and the snorkle will be in the way at that point . So i am thinking Cowl intake is the way id like to go. i know i could do a homebrew setup and it would work just as well but i want a clean look.
i also Do not want to use the old Airbox or have it come in on the drivers side under where the cowl is actually open ( like i saw some did)...

I had considered the Apollo K&N setup where i would have to "kind of homebrew it" but i think its down to the THOR and the Spectre Setups.

I really like the look of the Spectre (besides the shiny finish) And its cheaper to boot. I was thinking the filter was less likely to get wet than the Thor one since its inline under the hood as opposed to the thor actually being in the cowl.. i was thinking i could maybe put a pre filter where the spectre sucks from the cowl as an added measure of protection

Anybody have any info that the Thor is worth the extra $ Like maybe it filters better or is quieter than the spectre . ( i know both will be heard in the cabin)

i dont think either is worth the ridiculous amount of money. if you dont want to use the XJ airbox, go to the junkyard and find one you like. the homebrew setup is tried, true, and cheap.

X2 on the Spectre. It works well, but it is loud inside at start up. After the Jeep warms up, it quiets down. Mine came with a K&N filter, too.

why the heck does that Spectre set up loop all the way around like that?? why couldnt they just make it a straight run from the cowl with maybe one 90o turn to the throttle body? Is it a physics thing having to do with volume/velocity?? I dont get why all the bendy plumbing laying atop the motor everywhere..... *Insert puzzled look/ head scratch here*

X2 on the Spectre. It works well, but it is loud inside at start up. After the Jeep warms up, it quiets down. Mine came with a K&N filter, too.

My homebrew CAI is load at startup. For about 30 seconds or so. Why? Good question, next question please...

But, between the two, I think the Spectre is the better choice.

why the heck does that Spectre set up loop all the way around like that?? why couldnt they just make it a straight run from the cowl with maybe one 90o turn to the throttle body? Is it a physics thing having to do with volume/velocity?? I dont get why all the bendy plumbing laying atop the motor everywhere..... *Insert puzzled look/ head scratch here*

they do that to make it grab air under the "covered portion" of the cowl on the driverside the cowl is wide open but on the pass. side it isnt so they protect the opening from excess water and it mounts high enough from the bottom so water draining in cowl doesnt go in intake

Kind of important to note the actual differences between the kits. I believe they are designed differently so that they can be installed without relocating factory equipment. I don't think it has anything to do with which side will suck in less water.

Renix kit
x1_82acfe6066e849ddc0c8d072dfc03953.jpg

HO kit
2011-03-16_12-35-37_252.jpg

Inaccurate? In what way? Yes the others will fit, but they aren't smog legal. I don't see how that is inaccurate. It doesn't say they don't fit.

Correct, the HO kit is not CARB exempt (edit- AFAIK, and they don't mention it on Spectre's website either. I think this is discussed in one of the threads on the first Spectre intakes), only the Renix kit. Since the OP isn't in CA, I didn't figure he'd care.

Last edited:
wow! I just ordered the Spectre 9948 for my XJ yesterday from summit. By the time I'm done it will have cost me $109.00 I think that it's well worth the money.
The only reason I purchased it was to get the rid of the AirBox so I could add a 2nd Battery. Its a perfect solution with a K&N type filter. Only problem is its out of stock so it will take a while to get here...oh well as long as its here before 6/30/2012 its all good.

I'll have saved even more once I get rid of my stock Airbox and K&N filter I have now.

purchase price $149.00
Gift Certificate -$20.00
spectre rebate -$20.00

how did you get it for $109. summit advertises $149. i wouldnt mind having a renix one for that same reason. second battery.

Back