• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you towing with?

That's understandable. I'm sure you've got a good grasp on what you need to do so you can fit all you need to fit on the trailer. Whichever method you decide to use, just keep it as safe as possible. I know a guy and I won't mention his name (lol) that uses one strap to the front, and one out back, both hooked to the bumpers. A couple times he's showed up to camp and the straps were hanging slightly loose haha. Pretty laid back guy and it actually makes me jealous at times that I can't turn off my "worry mode" like he can. I think since the last time that happened he's added a strap or two. I just think it's funny how stark a difference there can be in attitudes about the subject but we all still make it there, time after time lol.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to have a pissing match just seeing if I'm missing something. I'll check out the condition of those factory tie downs and see if they're ok to use. I actually have the right type of hooks on the straps I have for it to work and I could also use the safety chain holes on the rear hitch receiver, in the orientation I mentioned, going forward with the rear straps. Thanks for the advice man!

Brake lines are a concern. Axle straps, may lessen the concern, but I use "T" hooks which lock securely into slots on frame, (car haulers use same system), then attach my straps to the "T" hook. Hauled my Jeep thousands of miles this way without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brake lines are a concern. Axle straps, may lessen the concern, but I use "T" hooks which lock securely into slots on frame, (car haulers use same system), then attach my straps to the "T" hook. Hauled my Jeep thousands of miles this way without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AKA "JRT" chains
:thumbup:

Simply put, I will never tie a jeep down by its bumpers or body again. I had one bounce hard enough to have the hook fall off...next time I stopped the jeep rearended my truck.

It is far safer to tie by the axles. On the 8.25 (and all others) I have looping straps that go around the tube and hook back to themselves. Just avoid pinching brake lines. I usually put the straps as far inward as possible (against the diff) and cross them to the trailer. Since doing it this way I have never had an issue with the jeep moving, settling, shifting, etc.

I spend a lot of time at sea port here in Florida where vehicles are shipped out of the US as well as received into the US from foreign manufactures by the thousands at a time on ships. I could tell you this for certain, on the ships, they are stripped using nylon straps through tow hooks removable or fixed but never chain or cable. The trucks/car haulers that move them into or out of the shipping port strap the tires using (I think) 4" ratchet straps. In my opinion strapping each of the 4 wheels this way is an excellent way to secure a vehicle to a trailer.

Just a FYI.

I am trying to get image of a "T" hook to appear.

M-TH1_300.jpg

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/images/large/M-TH1_300.jpghttp://http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/images/large/M-TH1_300.jpg

Last edited:
I towed with a Hemi Commander this summer for the Crawl and I used axle straps around the front axle and then hooked into the rear tie downs in the frame rail. I had no issues. I used to supervise haulers taking cars off the GM lot and Nissan lot in middle Tennessee and we tied down with t-hooks with no issue.

Towed with a Hemi Grand Cherokee for year. Did ok, just wasn't big enough to pull the boat on summer weekends. Grand was rated for 6500 lbs, but I wouldn't trust more than 5K on the hitch. XJ on trailer was about the limit, still made me nervous. had the tail start wagging the dog before I put bigger wheels and tires on. extra unsprung weight stabilized things a little.

moved on to a Crew Cab Tundra 4x4 - night and day difference. 380 hp/400 lb-ft torque. 6 speed trans through a 4.30 rear end. pretty flat around here so it does everything I need it to. :thumbup:

Towed with a Hemi Grand Cherokee for year. Did ok, just wasn't big enough to pull the boat on summer weekends. Grand was rated for 6500 lbs, but I wouldn't trust more than 5K on the hitch. XJ on trailer was about the limit, still made me nervous. had the tail start wagging the dog before I put bigger wheels and tires on. extra unsprung weight stabilized things a little.

moved on to a Crew Cab Tundra 4x4 - night and day difference. 380 hp/400 lb-ft torque. 6 speed trans through a 4.30 rear end. pretty flat around here so it does everything I need it to. :thumbup:

I tow with a Grand Cherokee, requires weight distribution hitch, anti sway, and electric brakes... it gets the job done, but there are much better tow rigs.

Pretty happy with my 2011 Ford Expedition EL with the 5.4L. Got it pretty cheap as it was a retired Arizona Fish and Game vehicle. Has no problem towing the XJ in the Colorado Rocky Mountains.

Well the 8.1 took a turd on me so had to do some rush shopping (wasnt planning to buy for another 6-8 months) Fortunately I have some good grades near by that make awesome demo tests. I drove pretty much everything. For what I haul I cant justify a 3/4 ton diesel. Its just not enough weight and not frequent enough. The gasser 2500's were a pretty big let down honestly. The gap between them and 1500 trucks was marginal at best on the grades (i use blue mesa and run up 70 to the eisenhower to try em out). Ultimately took a deal on a new 17 Chevy 1500 for hardly more than I was looking at spending with some used trucks. pulled up Blue mesa/cerro (6-7% grades, winding roads) just fine with trailer behind it (better than the 8.1 ever did), and got 22+ on my trip home from the dealer. See how she does in the long run.

Back