• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removable door help?

Rock2pus

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I need to modify my hinges for lift off doors on my 98 before I get down to painting the shell. I've looked around and it looks like there are a few different ways to do it.
1. Cut your hinge bottoms, tack weld the oe pins and cut the uppers short.
2. Same as #1 but drill out the pin holes and tack larger pins in place, same with uppers cut short.
3. Drive out the stock pins, drill out, and then use pullout pins.
#3 makes it look more like a 2-person job to remove and reinstall, but may be the strongest?
Who has done it, and how do you like it? It's really impossible to get a good look see on the naxja forums now that photo bucket screwed everything up.

yeah I did #1 first - it's the easiest and it worked fine for a while but the stock roll pins aren't very strong and started to get bent and eventually one broke so I then went with your #2. I used bolts (I think they might have been stock caliper bolts) and welded them in, the hardest part was drilling out the frame side hinges to size, had to borrow a right angle drill to get at them.

Use bolts that are long enough so there's no thread left once you cut them to size, also you can make things easier to line up if you angle/round the ends so you can be a little off and they'll still find the hole.

I appreciate the input! I'm leaning towards the #2, at least if it doesn't pan out I've got some wiggle room. Drilling the hinges out really isn't a major issue for me since the body is still stripped to the bone right now. I could start a whole new thread on what a pain in the ass it is to clock a new Atlas into an XJ properly. It's nearly impossible to get the right clocking just off of aa's photos. Today marks the sixth time I've assembled the case to the trans, lifted it into place and bolted back the mounts, only to have to drop it all back out again and disassemble the trans/case and reclock it. I was planning on having the long block back in the jeep today,but , no. Meh, I hate setbacks.

I may go #1 out of the gate, both for simplicity and the fact I have 2 chances instead of one to upsize the pins down the road....any wisdom you can impart on the procedure, Paul? Anything you would have done differently?

Nothing really differently. It's pretty straight forward (although the 97up hinges are different but I think it's the same basic steps). The biggest pain was actually getting everything lined back up correctly. DITA actually helped me on the green jeep and we took quite a while lining everything up perfectly.

Back