• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Checking out a used car...

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Ideally before getting into a 10 yo used car you'd want to have a trusted garage check it out with all their fancy equipment. But say you've found what you're looking for in a city far far away and you aren't able to schedule for a professional mechanic to look at it when you get there...so it's all up to you.

Other than checking for the obvious things like button functions, what all systems/parts should a reasonably proficient DIY mechanic test/look at on the vehicle to be?

Off the top of my head I'd check for...

- test each cylinder for compression
- and look at each spark plug for build up
- look for rust underneath
- move tires when sitting still to look for shifting in the knuckle
- get under the front with a pry bar and check suspension for loose connections

The car i'll be looking to buy is a 2006-7 BMW 325i or 330i (non turbo) with the straight 6 3.0 N52 or N53 engines, if that helps with the recommendations.

Other than this short list above what else should I be looking at?

Use the Internet and Yelp, etc. to find a local mechanic and let him know your situation, and make an appointment for the time frame you'll be in the area looking at the car. Let the seller know the plan and all is well. If he balks, walk.

Also: don't confuse can't with won't.

Last edited:
Ehmm, that is kind o true, those are things that you should be checking first of all, in case you are looking to buy a 10 years old car. Now, I got another question, what are you doing on a 4 years old thread?! I guess there was no need to start this discussion once again. Honestly, right now I am looking for some used pickup trucks, however I am really afraid by the ones that have been built later than 2007. I actually think that there is no way thay are in a good state. I really hope that I would get to buy some really nice pick-ups.

Now, I got another question, what are you doing on a 4 years old thread?! I guess there was no need to start this discussion once again.

You answered your own question.

:cheers:

spambot

"Forum spambots surf the web looking for guestbooks, wikis, blogs, forums and any other web forms to submit spam links to. These spambots often use OCR technology to bypass CAPTCHAs present. Some messages are targeted towards readers and can involve techniques of target marketing or even phishing. These automated schemes can make it more difficult for users to tell real posts from the bot generated ones. Some spam messages also simply contain tags and hyperlinks intended to boost search engine ranking rather than target human readers."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam

Back