• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice setting up rear bump stops

The_Punisher

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys. Building a go fast XJ. Have a build thread, calling my rig Body Shot. Sucks now that photo bucket wants $$

I have these bumps on my fox shocks. Had experience with them on my JK. I was turned onto them by a cat on Pirate4x4. They work well. https://www.polyperformance.com/eibach-micro-cellular-foam-shaft-bump-stop

I also have some sumo springs. They're designed to be used like air bags while towing and such. Metal Cloak sells them as bumps. I also had these on my JK and thought they were rad. https://www.supersprings.com/shop/ssr-402-40/

So I've got my rear 9" and deavers swapped under the jeep. I haven't mounted shocks yet. I'll be using the main leaf by itself to cycle the suspension in my garage with her on jack stands. This is when I'll setup shocks and bumps.

In theory, I want one bump stop to make contact first, compress maybe half-ish and then have the second bump begin to engage to create a nice progressive bottoming almost like hydro/air bumps.

The eibachs and Sumo springs are rated at 1000 lb rate at 50% compression. The sumo spring is 5" tall. So I guess 2.5" of "stroke" before it gets into the 1000 lb territory. The eibach bumps are 2.5" tall

The great thing about these, is like air bumps, they don't bounce you back off the bumps. It's pretty controlled.

I'm thinking maybe have the shock mounted bumps begin to contact just before the sumo springs contact the axle bump pads. Then as the 2.5" eibachs are compressed I'm working within that initial 2.5" of stroke of the sumo springs.

My goal is a nice progressive bottoming while using all of my travel.

Back