• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Board of Directors

ranger

NAXJA Forum User
What positions are there for the BOD? Kejtar and a few others mentioned they don't want to be the Treasurer so I know we need one of those but what else? What is involved in being the Treasurer besides collecting money and paying the National NAXJA board (an assumption)?

Here is something for all to read

http://www.naxja.org/html/bylaws.htm

The bylaws have the officers positions as well as the majority of all the other rules.... In general though there are: President, Vice President, Recorder and Treasurer.

Kejtar

Ok, read through the Bylaws, have a question or two... It says you must maintain a not-for-profit account at a local bank with a minimum $500 balance. Where will this money come from if not from a "chapter" fee? It also states that Insurance will be obtained. Again, is this the responsibility of the Chapter or NAXJA as a whole? Also the incorporation, is the Chapter covered by the State of IL incorporation or will it need to incorporate itself in California? If so, where does that money come from?

And from what I had posted on the Socalxj list when the whole thing came up, this is what I DESPISE about being a formal "club".

QUOTED:
A Member shall make a Motion in order to establish the requirement for a vote. Another Member must second the Motion in order for it to become a formal Motion. Members can make subsequent Motions to table or dismiss the Motion under consideration. A tabled Motion shall be tabled for one month unless otherwise specified. Successful Motions to dismiss are the equivalent of a failed vote. All Motions must either pass, fail, or table.

I read through them after I posted this topic and they read like a lawyer! I guess thats the idea though. I am not that experienced with stuff like this but I would be willing to give it a go for a position. I think the only one that I could fill would be the treasurer which sounds like it would not be a problem with everyone else :? I will have to talk to the wife first before I could commit to this as it sounds like it could take a little time. :oops: How much work is really involved?

Work and such

I think Richard will probably chime in here as he has more experience on the topic, but I will also fire off an email or two to the other chapter people to get a precise idea of how much work they do.... Yes the bylaws look intimidating, but that's kind of caused by the society: every rule has a rule which then has a rule... :(

Kejtar

A bit more reading :)

http://www.naxja.org/html/chapterinfo/chapterrequirements.htm

Btw, this is not to scare anyone :) Everyone should remember: we do this for fun... a beaurocracy... well, a bit will be required but I think it's not going to be that bad :)

Kejtar

Oh boy, here we go! And I wouldn't worry too much about those harsh legal sounding rules man...after all, they have to be there, but it's not like we can't bend them when it's necessary I'm sure.

The rest of the chapters have three officers, pres, VP, and sec/tres. The other requirements that were asked about, corporation, insurance, and $500 in the bank, are all fulfilled by the national organization. That is one of the advantages of using the national organizational structure rather than starting our own non-profit organization, NAXJA already has insurance.

Decisions for the chapter are mostly made by general consensus, or by the officers. There will probably be relatively few times when members make motions and we have to vote. If anyone has a real question about this, peruse the other chapter forums and search back aways to see how they do things, it's really very simple. We do need to have some rules and guidelines, and we need to be responsible stewards of any money that is raised and any tasks that the chapter takes on. Getting some good things done means that a little organization is necessary. If someone doesn't have the stomach for a little bureaucracy, they don't need to get involved in running the club, just hang out and enjoy things.

I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle....keep it simple, stupid. There is nothing complicated about having a NAXJA chapter, but there is some organization that has to take place. We can have runs now and then, and work parties, and communication, without a chapter. But we can get an adopt-a-trail, and raise and donate a little money to land use groups, and have an identity when dealing with other groups and organizations by being a club. Clubs are everywhere, and get quite a few things done, but they are not for everyone. I see no reason to criticize anyone who prefers not to be in a club, and I see no reason for those people to criticize anyone who wants to participate in a club.

Also, the NAXJA BOD is currently working on by-law revisions, and part of the changes and additions will better take into account the needs of the chapters.

Richard G

Back