• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Get your ham license!

This is definitely something I am interested in. But I'm wondering the same thing Greenz asked. How many people in NWC are running uhf/vhf? Or are most people still running CB?

Hopefully some others will chime in with their answers. I usually run both, but the advantages of a 2 meter rig so outweighs the CB/GMRS radios. Clarity (sound quality), smaller antenna, more power (longer distances), option to use repeaters. Yes, it does require a test, which the ham cram takes care of. For ~$200 you can get into a name brand 2 Meter radio that will do ~65 watts with a antenna; not much more than a CB install. There is more professionalism with ham than CB.

I have both a CB and a dual band radio. Getting a tech licence was very easy to get. My first radio i bought i had $50.00 in a radio and $25.00 in a mag mount anttena and i was able to reach repeaters 35 miles away without any problem.
Joe

Back