• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low budget Mustang build

Joe94xj

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up this 94 gt the other day for the right price of 600 bucks. Running and driving, with a manual transmission. One family car that was taken care of mechanically but not so much on the appearance side. Needs seats redone, the body is dent free and accident free but does need a repaint, but overall it's in great shape, runs great and still fun to drive. Planning on a low budget build of about 2k. Looking to add some more ponies to make it get up and scoot! So stay tuned and let's see what I can come up with and how far I decided to take it.

20160901_193408_zpsjcvhptpn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Re: Low budget Mustang build.

Hell ya.
I would recommend 1 of 2 routes for best bang for buck.

Performance in a straight line.
150 nitrous shot with a tune/ intake and exhaust. That's it other than slicks and you are in the 12s.

Around the corners.
Brake fluid. Hawk race pads. Tires. Springs,shocks,sway bars.

i on the other hand recommend a different route as its a 5.0 not a 4.6

gt40p heads from an exploder as well as the intake to match and an e303 cam.
the thing should already have those goofy fomoco twisted headers.
lose the kitties x pipe and the best flowing muffs you can find and a set of slicks will get you in the 12s and you don't have to worry about cold or empty bottles

My dohc cobra ran 12.5 on slicks with a 150 hit bro. X pipe and single chamber mufflers...
Slicks and an exhaust will run 14s lol
Altitude is a muder fugger

Picked up new seats, cd player, carpet, MagnaFlow cat back exhaust and some misc stuff, from a 96 with 70k a guy was parting out today. Had first dibs on anything I wanted and got it all for 150 bucks.

20160903_172438_zpsdmj6aujp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Got the new interior swapped over and the MagnaFlow'so installed. Now it sounds like a mustang should. Detailed the interior and then took it over to the future father-in-laws house. He had a blast seeing it in running condition again and spent the evening taking it out and having fun with it. He was the original owner buying it with 5 miles on the the odometer. It was his baby units his ex wife took it during a divorce. Just because she knew he loved that car. So long story short I was able to track it down on the other side of the family and buy it and now he gets to see it transform into what he had dreamed of when it was his.

A little update, tinted the windows and got a screamin deal on a set of 98 SVT Cobra 17" wheels with a set of brand new Firehawk tires. This summer I plan on doing paint and bodywork. Should be fun, this will be my first full car repaint I have done.

20170411_183339_zps8bqfnyhq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks good, Joe!!

Werd. Elguapo is a magician with some wax and elbow grease.

Thank you Grin/ Show us some close ups of the defects.
I'm familiar with easy solutions on paintwork. Faded clear coat, scratches, bringing back shine etc.

Last edited:
There is not fix for this but a repaint. There is delamination on the hood and all along the drivers side. To the point I can pick off the clear and base coat with my fingers. The roof is completely shot and showing surface rust. It sat outside in the sun for 5 years and was just cooked. Only the passenger side of the car is in ok shape as that side was protected from the sun by a big bush. Already stopped by Dale's Paint here in the springs and got a quote for all the materials I will need. Just need to find the time between work, house projects, the xj's and two kids to get it done.

20170408_091545_zpsternu70t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

that'll buff out. :eyes:

Back