• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The 4500 MJ Build

It has been awhile. Is this project still moving? By now is should be at road testing phase broke and back to the shop for upgrades for the third time.
Time sure does fly by. I wish I could say we've been busy out flogging it, but the MJ is still under construction. I haven't been making it over to the shop very much since the beginning of the year. Mostly been focusing on work and life, boring I know. Winton however has been plugging away at the car in between his travels. I swung by the shop yesterday to catch up, and the car is looking great!

Winton tackled the skins by himself, and really did a great job. I was blown away at the detail in matching up the MJ body lines.
32CA1786-E961-4B08-97C9-C926E7D8EDD9.jpg

We're so close to having this be a runner. A little bit of wiring still needs wrapped up, the radiator needs plumbed, and we need to add some catch cans / fluid containment. The rest is just little things.

It was nice to get back to the shop and work on the car for a bit. I'm going to try and get back into the routine and see this thing gets completed.

It is good to see that it is still moving forward. Is it going to be a King of the Hammers contestant this year? At some point i am going to make the pilgrimages down to Johnson Valley to watch the racing.

Looks great! Hardly resembles an MJ anymore. Turn signal lens is probably the only thing left untouched, lol. You do very good work TORX. Keep us posted...

Nice, have to see it at ride height.

When are you going to shock tune it? Brian usually does Glamis for newyears and sometimes goes to JV the week after. I like the dunes for tuning.
With out the spare tire out back cant get mine to float on whoops like it used to.

I was at the shop this weekend, and the car is looking great. We're officially registered for 2018 King of the Hammers, #4506. :cool:

Engine bay is all business.
20171210_170942.jpg

Every nut and bolt on the car is getting final torqued and marked.
20171210_170953.jpg

Ryan's been busy with the label maker.
20171210_171011.jpg

20171210_171115.jpg

20171210_171045.jpg

We're gearing up for a test run here in the next week or two. Then it's onto the final push to wrap up any loose ends before it's on a trailer heading south for Hammer Town.

A few hours of work on the car this morning, and we had it buttoned and ready to test.
20171216_113635.jpg

Maureen was first to back the MJ out of the shop for the first time under its own power. It completed it's first obstacle.
20171216_191105.jpg

Took some test laps around the drive way. The car drove great, and no unexpected issues came up. Obstacle two, complete.

Wanting to get some miles on the car, we loaded up and headed out to TSF! Ryan and I were in the MJ, with Don and Winton chasing.
20171216_151554.jpg

The car drove awesome. It handles great on the road, no major lean or any bump steer. The suspension is soft, and is only going to get better with tuning. We didn't even have N2 in the bumps for this run. The steering is quick, and really makes for easy corrections. The LS2 has plenty of power, and sounds great. I was very pleased to see how well it worked. All the work we've all put into this build paid off today.

Couple minor things to check before the next outing, and a couple little projects left to do, but we're looking forward to putting some more test miles on it soon.

Six more weeks and it's on a trailer heading for HammerTown!

Very nicely done. Best of luck to you guys! See you out there.

Richard G

Took the car out to Sandlake on Saturday for some testing. It did awesome! Ran into John aka Rockbilly down there, and he got a video of one of our passes. Thanks!

Joey got the car up to 80.0mph across the back forty, and it felt very stable inside. We have zero tuning on the shocks at this point, so it's only going to get better. Joey and I both got some seat time in the car, and we called it a day. Couple small projects to work on, and we'll probably try for another day of testing before we leave for the lake bed.

Dang, that thing is awesome. What a great looking build too.

Nice work. It is darn pretty! Can't wait to see how you guys do.

On our initial TSF run we had our transmission temperature warning light come on a few times. We moved the sensor from the inlet to the outlet of the cooler, feeling it was tripping prematurely. While testing at Sandlake, the light was on pretty much full time while running in the sand. The transmission seemed to still be shifting fine, but it was an issue we'd need to look into more closely.

That meant, out with the trans. Winton tore apart the transmission inspecting all the pieces as he went. Inside we found a sprag beginning to come apart, some worn clutches, and a few bad bearings. This was a newly assembled trans too, so it was pretty clear something wasn't right. Was it still working, yes. Would it have survived KOH, doubtful.

Winton took this time to rebuild the TH400, and also put together a spare using upgraded bearings, clutches, and shafts.
20180110_201920.jpg

Transmission parts covered all flat surfaces of the shop for the past two weeks. :laugh:
20180106_125004.jpg

Ryan took this time to get started on our final project for the car, the flat belly skid. Made from .156 Hardox plate. I'll get some better pictures when it's finalized, but he did a great job in getting it to fit.
20180110_202016.jpg

Tig'd a bung into the pan, and we'll now be running a gauge for trans temp.
20180113_154920.jpg

Once we had the transmission put back together, we hoisted it back into the car using another Winton creation. The crane made such easy work of fitting the trans and Atlas into place. We had the both bolted into place in a half hour. While sometimes it can be a pain to work on things on the car, it was built with serviceability in mind.
20180113_174554.jpg

The four of us put in a lot of hours this weekend trying to button everything up. We finished the trans rebuild and install, down sized our brake master cylinder size, bleed the brakes, rebuilt our rear axle side bump stop pads, roughed in the belly pan, and tackled numerous small projects on the car.

With the weather cooperating, we headed to TSF for a few hours today for a final test day... in the rocks.
20180114_124116.jpg

The car did great. The new transmission seemed to run fine. We never were able to get it above 180, which was reassuring to see. We'll definitely need some more seat time with the car in the rocks. It's a different animal in the rocks, especially from my jalopy where I'm use to 10.3:1 and crawling.

These Ultra4 cars just aren't built for technical crawling. Imagine 450hp, 14" of suspension with bypass shocks, high stall, running 20+psi in the tires, and you're strapped in with a HANS device and window nets. I found today that you definitely need to pick your lines ahead of time. Remember those lines when your on them, and keep your momentum through the rocks. The suspension will handle a faster pace. I'm excited to get the buggy out on the Hammer trails. :cool:

No major issues came up with today's run, which made all the work we put in this weekend really pay off. We got two weeks left, and it will be spent buttoning up the small projects, prepping the car, and packing.

Back