• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

time to make a decision

gray_penguin

NAXJA Forum User
So,

Heading to Fla to catch cruise and had over heating issues.

Seems the head in my 2001 4.0L decided to give up. It is stranded in Savanna GA.

So the question is, is there any one in SC that could help me get it back to Charlotte?

I know this is a common issue with the 2000 - 01 XJ's. Can I put an older cast head on it? Does anyone in the NAXJA southeast area with a head for sale that would work on it?

Sorry for the vague questions, just not real sure of my options.

So,

Heading to Fla to catch cruise and had over heating issues.

Seems the head in my 2001 4.0L decided to give up. It is stranded in Savanna GA.

So the question is, is there any one in SC that could help me get it back to Charlotte?

I know this is a common issue with the 2000 - 01 XJ's. Can I put an older cast head on it? Does anyone in the NAXJA southeast area with a head for sale that would work on it?

Sorry for the vague questions, just not real sure of my options.

I might have a head off of a 98 but I'll have to look. It would work if you have a non-cali emissions Jeep. It would also require that you use the 98 exhaust manifold and splice the exhaust back together.

I know a guy in Savannah that might be able to help. When will you be back to the Jeep?

When will you be getting back to the jeep? I'm in Hartsville, SC and could maybe meet someone or help you get it. Andy I might can help too. I wonder if he is on a boat?

Hello guys

I am on the ship now. Will be back in charlotte late sunday. The heep is parked in a friends cousins drive way near the Savanna airport. It has the damn cal emissions and brand new from manifold back. I can work on it in savanna but would rather get it closer to home in waxhaw nc. Its in good shape overall but the California emissions has been a pita. And the ax-15 i put in it is hard to shift when it gets hot in stop and go traffic. Hate to spend a ton of money on it but i really hate to drive anything but an XJ ��

Thanks for any advice

Are you on Facebook? Look up the Low Country Mud Rats page and post up on there. They're based in Savannah and there's a lot of good people in the group that might be able to help you out and/or have a head that you'd be able to use.

Hello guys

I am on the ship now. Will be back in charlotte late sunday. The heep is parked in a friends cousins drive way near the Savanna airport. It has the damn cal emissions and brand new from manifold back. I can work on it in savanna but would rather get it closer to home in waxhaw nc. Its in good shape overall but the California emissions has been a pita. And the ax-15 i put in it is hard to shift when it gets hot in stop and go traffic. Hate to spend a ton of money on it but i really hate to drive anything but an XJ ��

Thanks for any advice

There's a shop here in my town that I've ordered a head from in the past. It was like $325 for a new TUPY head. If it were me, I'd buy a head and swap it on in Savannah and drive that sucker home.

There's a shop here in my town that I've ordered a head from in the past. It was like $325 for a new TUPY head. If it were me, I'd buy a head and swap it on in Savannah and drive that sucker home.

What shop? That sounds like a good price on a new TUPY head. Not a bad idea if he has a place he can do it.

That was complete. Valves, springs, etc.

You need to get more info on that company. Rebuilt heads are $400 from what I have seen.

The place in Greenwood told me I had to have the old head to pick up the new one.

I found a place Johnson-Tipton 6320 Gibson Rd Gibson NC 910-268-2800

They have ready to install ones for 265 and told me I could bring them the old one when I got back from Savannah.

Is there anything I need to watch out for when getting the head gasket and bolts?

Last edited:
Make sure you follow the torque specs of the fsm. I have heard of people cracking blocks on the one bolt that gets less torque.

I think I have decided to get it back home to work on it. The auto transport quotes I am getting are in the $300 range. Would anyone on here want to move it from Savannah to Waxhaw for $300? would rather give my money to someone on here.

I think I have decided to get it back home to work on it. The auto transport quotes I am getting are in the $300 range. Would anyone on here want to move it from Savannah to Waxhaw for $300? would rather give my money to someone on here.

I would but don't think I can right now. The GF had to go out of town so I'm taking care of her 6 month old puppy. That is a decent quote imho. It would probably cost me $100 - $150 in fuel for the truck.

The issue I have with the transport people is they cant give me a pickup time less then 24 hrs. I am not being pressed to move it, and I could just fix it where it is. I really hate to mess up someone else's driveway. And even though it should be straight forward head swap, I always seem to have something happen to complicate what I am doing and hate to have to make several trips to complete the job.

If your willing to help I can adjust my time schedule.

I'd like to help but my truck is thirsty. It's 571 miles of driving for me, round trip. 10 hours.

You're welcome to have them deliver it to my place and work on it here. I have all the tools you'd need and I'm close to a parts store.

I'm in Abbeville, SC.

A little more back story. On the day I was driving to Fla, I noticed the temp was running about 20deg higher then normal. it went about 150 miles like that before it spiked enough to make the Check Gauges light come on. Then after a mile or so it would go back down to where it was (around 220). I thought maybe the thermostat was sticking. I stopped at a gas station and removed it, permatexed it back on. It stayed around 210 while idling so I headed back down the road. After about 20 miles it did it again.

It will stay around 210 while idling but once I get up to 60+ for 10 mins or so it will go up to 225 or so and stay there for a bout 10 mins then spike again.

I gave up and called AAA and had it towed to Savannah where we could rent a car.

It really seemed like a head gasket / head issue from the symptoms. And the fact that these 00-01 engines are known to have head issues, I felt like that was the issue.

So this past Saturday, I ended up going to Savannah and pulling the head off, cleaned everything up, and installed a new head and gasket.

While driving home today it went about 120miles and it started the same thing again. Called AAA to tow me from I-26 and I-77 to Waxhaw. So, after money spent on a head and all the stuff to change it, and 2 hotel nights. I still have the same issue.

I replaced the radiator about 3 years ago, the water pump is new.

Any thoughts on what is going on?

Back