• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

today

vincepru

NAXJA Forum User
i went to jeepskool and really wheeled my xj for the first time and it was great!

except for the fact that i blew the power steering pump and wheeling the rest of the day was a pain in the :soapbox: so now instead of going back tomorrow and enjoying myself even more, i have to replace this. any advice? i have searched and cant find much at all. anybody in the mwc have a spare they would want to sell?

im thinking i might just go back tomorrow and wheel it without power steering, or would that cause alot more damage? like a snapped serpentine. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Vince, I have a spare steering box.

It is from an 89, but nothing wrong with it. They are the same part number on the 2000. I checked. $129 new and the pitman arm is still on it.

Whole package...$50.

Call me! You got my number.

Sorry I couldn't wheel this weekend...wife's sister is in lockup...yadayada....
November, noone is stopping me.

jimmy its not the steering box its the actual pump and resevoir that i need, the seal at the pulley is shot and leaks bad. i filled it up before driving home and lets just say it all leaked out before i shut my hood and got back into the car...

i might just go to oreillys and buy a new pump and resevoir.

Vince are you in KC or Cleveland. The pump is about 60 or 70 bucks at Orielys, I just replaced mine. For that price get a new one so you are less likely to have to replace in 6 months.

Parakeet

im in cleveland right now. i went to napa and got the pump and resevoir and a new belt and pulley. the only thing that was a pain was getting the tensioner back on after taking it off. and the return line was fused to the resevoir nipple so i had to break it off. all in all everything went great and its running better than it ever has (can a belt really make that much of a difference?) i just need to figure out how tight to tighten the belt. its reaaallly tight right now, but still squeals when i turn the defrost on.

all in all it cost me about 120 to do it all

Back