• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Another XJ on tons, coilovers, 42's, etc. Build

Well, still progressing...

Got the Trans Fan Mounted the other night, and then started on the plumbing only to get one hose mocked up. Realized that I was a few feet short on the second one...ugh.

I got a box FULL of Weatherpack stuff (enough to last me the next 5 years), so I've turned back to the wiring.

I used to hate wiring, but the feeling of now being able to easily trace wires, and more so getting to get rid of more wires, bulky connectors, etc. feels great :greensmok:

Though, to be honest, at this point it would have been quicker to take the OEM stuff, and start from scratch :laugh:

All of my fuel cell filler stuff was supposed to be here Friday, but the fender mount kit from Summit changed from shipping yesterday, to an ETA of 5/23...greaaaat.

So, looks like I need to order if from Speedway to get here in time. I'll at least get the fill neck and such installed so I can get the fuel cell back in.

This weekend plans are to:

Buggy:
- Finish ALL wiring, remounting, and get labels made and attached (this will by far be the biggest time suck).
- Get the fuel cell fast fill neck installed
- Get the trans cooler lines cut, fitting on, firesleeved, and connected
- Reseal Speedo (most of my leaking seems to be coming from there)
- Top off t-cases

Truck/Trailer:
- Install power steering filter
- Install Trans filter housing base plate and filter housing
- Pressure Wash and Stain trailer deck
- Go through trailer hubs

IF I can ACTUALLY get all that done by the end of this coming weekend, it will only put me about 25% behind my written schedule :laugh:

It's all the details that make a rig that much more enjoyable to wheel.

I have a fender fill kit and the JAZ fast fill valve I bought from Summit for sale (unused) I could have sold you for a good discount.

Bought it about 2.5 years ago and never got around to mounting it on my MJ before I sold it.

It's all the details that make a rig that much more enjoyable to wheel.

I have a fender fill kit and the JAZ fast fill valve I bought from Summit for sale (unused) I could have sold you for a good discount.

Bought it about 2.5 years ago and never got around to mounting it on my MJ before I sold it.

:laugh:

Well damn. I'm sure you could have it sold over on Pirate in no time flat.

It definitely will be nice to just be able to fill up "normally".

Man I love Firesleeve, but it's a wee bit of a b*tch to install. Got the trans hoses made up except for the other ends and wrapping both ends in firetape.

20170316_221831_zpswm6wzr3n.jpg

Went to reseal the speedo last night, looks like the old O-ring was done for. Went through the two O-ring kits I have, and everything I have was too thick and wouldn't let the speedo shove it. So, I'll need to make a run to either Ace or an Auto parts store to see if I can't find something that will work.

Really looking to get all the damn wiring done and cleaned up be the end of this weekend. That will put me into getting the interior panels sanded down a little and resprayed. I'm going to see about trying Hammerite instead of Rustoleum hammered this time. As well, I picked up some Acrylic Enamel Hardener to throw in. That should help speed up cure time, and make the panels a bit more robust to marring, chipping, etc.

I'm pushing to have it all back together by the 30th, so that I can drive it to and from work (~3 miles each way) to make sure it's good to go. I would love to get a quick wheeling trip in, but I don't think that's going to be happening in time.

Jusy went through your build......

Fn amazeballs!

Just solid damn good work man.

Alllrighty...so a long overdue update.

I worked until at least 12AM most nights trying to get ready for EJS.

All I *really* needed to do, was to replace a fuse...but why stop there!?

Let redo wiring!

When I blew the fuse in Indy (didn't know it was a fuse at the time), it was a PAIN to get to (never got to it on the trail).

Here was my original "power center" layout:

20131229_161321_zps95481956.jpg

The thing is, with the main center console piece on, the lid of the PDC (the black box with the fuses and relays) was hard to get off. On top of that, I couldn't see the fuses themselves for much of anything.

This spurned the relocation of the PDC to somewhere far more reachable and easily serviceable. As well, the Junction Block (the odd shaped piece) that was mounted up under the passenger floorboard, next to the winch controller, got moved too.

While a "simple" project in reality, I probably had nearly 100 hours into this, and just further cleaning up a remounting some wiring, to make it as good as I can possibly make it.

How things looked prior (photos make it look a lot worse than it was :laugh:) These shots in reality were to help me remember what was where, wired where, etc.

20170326_135634_zpsn4tqhbwh.jpg

20170308_210249_zpsflyws0ef.jpg

Got the cowl marked up and cut out:

20170308_202539_zpsbs1rfyt6.jpg

Fast forward a LOT, and the PDC and Junction Box are mounted. I cleaned up and painted the inside of the cowl as well:

20170325_190803_zpsjymj3ly0.jpg

20170325_190820_zpsxabythdu.jpg

Cleaned up and adding rubber stripping to pass through holes:

20170325_190840_zps6snkoaar.jpg

Went through them once again, and removed another pile of wires:

20170308_232208_zpsnvu0a7ly.jpg

Since I know I'll be asked. I'm not worried about either unit and the elements in the cowl. The PDC has a cover, and the cowl where the junction block sits, isn't perforated like the driver's side is. As well, both units were mounted ~3/8" off the cowl with rubber spacers, to allow for an water that may enter the cowl, the run underneath them and out.

From there, it was wiring, wiring, and more wiring. EVERYTHING pretty much got a weatherpack connector this time. So, pretty much my whole harness can be removed if needed pretty easily (I did several times to clean thing up and out).

20170319_000722_zpslyd64lwz.jpg

My original power center, also got a clean up.

I added remounted the smaller power distribution strips, added an ignition strip, and mounted the relays on a strip for easy access and wiring. I used the label maker at work to label things as well :D

Relay holder with 1/4" nutserts:

20170326_185153_zpsof9jrdch.jpg

I made the switch panel 100% weatherpacked, and far quicker and easier to install/remove:

20170406_214820_zps4qhc4hcu.jpg

20170406_214807_zpskco1arrq.jpg

And then final layout and wiring (SO much cleaner and easier):

20170404_204202_zpsmnrs4ilj.jpg

20170404_204225_zpshzbuhytk.jpg

20170404_204244_zpszn04p3mi.jpg

20170409_154648_zps1ji6dfct.jpg

20170409_175326_zpsutzqzzoo.jpg

20170409_175344_zpsptmzdov7.jpg

I had issues with the Aero style flush mount cap on the fuel cell. I *could* have taken it off and fixed it, but I decided I was tired of having to climb up and over to fill the cell (if I didn't want to spill).

So, I decided to mount a fast fill setup. I used a 2.5" Jaz 45° Fill Neck with flapper, and the associated fender mount kit:

Got to put the new 1" die to use:

20170328_192023_zpspogwdek7.jpg

I had the mounting plate cut out by Scott at Addicted Offroad (another CRAWL Mag Cover guy :D). This saved me a bunch of time and general PITA work.

20170328_192504_zps1t9uuosh.jpg

The welder interior neck piece snapped (my fault), so I had to improvise in the mean time :laughing:

20170328_215230_zpskwydi7bm.jpg

20170328_215219_zpsiub6qsg6.jpg

20170329_000525_zpst9w4ec2m.jpg

The rest are after install and the moab trip. I tightened down the fill neck a bit more to prevent the little bit of leakage. The tube collapsed slightly (it's not an ideal angle), but it still fills just fine and plenty quick.

20170427_192833_zpsfq9eh3si.jpg

20170427_192906_zps7vfesw3k.jpg

One thing that I had a little issue with, was the previous trans cooler. Even with the fan, I don't think it was enough, especially with the amount of head pressure the trans had to overcome.

So, I went ahead and ordered one of the biggest coolers Derale makes, in the -6AN version :D (Derale 13870)

I mounted it in the rear, under the fuel cell and action packer.

New hoses made and firesleeved:

20170316_221831_zpswm6wzr3n.jpg

20170427_192923_zpsxrxmzusb.jpg

20170427_192940_zpsxdsqdnam.jpg

Initially when I pulled the old trans cooler, I went to start the rig and forgot that the cooler wasn't in place :homer:

Trans fluid allll over

20170308_202520_zpsbjcdcdls.jpg

A *few* other things got done as well.

Repainted the interior panels, the old Rustoleum Hammered was just wearing way too quick (chipping if you looked at it wrong). So this time, I used Hammerite with some hardener:

20170402_210622_zps2oblbs7k.jpg

I bought some H3R 2.5L Halotron I Fire Extinguishers, and some quick disconnect mounts.

20170427_192839_zpsi5f0yzka.jpg

20170427_192833_zpsfq9eh3si.jpg

20170427_192850_zpspjn4qdob.jpg

Quite a bit else was done, but that was mainly paint touch up, and doing preventative maintenance items.

So, that brings us to EJS.

I left Fort Collins at 10:30PM on Monday night (I was trying to make the CRAWL readers ride). I made it to Grand Junction around 4:30AM, and decided I needed to pass out for a few hours otherwise I'd end up killing myself or someone else. I got up and going around 8AM, and made it into Moab just after 10AM.

I met up with the group I was running with, but one of them wasn't done working on their rig (Lubes). So, after a bit, a couple of us decided to head to Area BFE and at least play around a little on the playground. When I unloaded at the bottom, next to the highway, the buggy's fuel pump didn't prime. :shaking:

I gave it a couple more tries, and it fired right up, and I headed to Area BFE. I stopped and parked outside of the CRAWL booth and shot the breeze with John from CRAWL for a bit, talking about and looking over the new CRAWL Trent Fab rig, etc. I saw a *few* people I knew (ok like a dozen or so) drive by, letting me know to join them, and meet them at the bottom. After about 30 or so minutes talking with John, I hopped in the rig to go...and nothing. No fuel pump again :mad3:

Long story short, after a bunch of diagnosis (much easier and quicker with how things are mounted now), I thought it was a break in the wiring (I thought I didn't hear the fuel pump prime with power was jumped to it). After a couple hours of sitting around, and waiting for those who hadn't made it to BFE yet to bring me my box of stuff (fuses, wire, relays, spare PCM's, etc.) we got it figured. One of the connectors on the Junction box (one of the C connectors), wasn't fully plugged in :shaking: It was the plug that supplied power to the junction box from the PDC, it just needed to be pushed in a hair more, until it clicked.

So, I played around BFE for the rest of the day, Lubes showed up and we hung around there for a bit. As he was loading his up, Lubes rig started to smoke pretty bad, his hydro return hose had a hole work through it from a pulley being too close. Long story short on that, he ended up drinking too much that night, and we didn't do much Wednesday, so I played around BFE's playground some more :shaking:

Thursday, we ran Metal Masher. No problems except I blew a fuel pump fuse...again. We we're wheeling with Tim (Liquid Iron Industries), when just coming down a small incline the rig died. I popped the cowl cover off, and saw the blown fuse. Upon a moment of "AHA", I thought about the fact that I'm running an aftermarket fuel pump, well capable of keeping up with a healthy V8. I asked Tim what he ran for a fuse, and he said 25A-ish on this pump (thought normally through a reset able breaker). He mentioned the Walbro 255 running around 14A normally, which doesn't jive with a 15A fuse :laughing: So, I popped in a 20A, and haven't had a problem since.

I did get a little sideways on one of the obstacles, and tagged the passenger side a little. With a little bump, it walked right up widow maker, and anything else.

Friday, I ran Hells Revenge (never had before). The rig did great, though I did end up on my lid in the big tub (Devils' tub?) I went too far left, when apparently I should have gone more right (was trying to avoid the undercut). On the third try, I came off it wrong and it threw me over. After getting me pulled out, pulling plugs and all that jazz, we were off again. Hells Gate, Escalator, etc. were no problem. They look a lot worse when you're at the bottom, but once I pulled up they didn't look bad at all.

Coming down Hells Revenge, I noticed my voltage was about half of what it should normally read at. I got it onto the trailer, and it wouldn't turn over again (battery was pretty well dead).

Fun trail, I look forward to giving the Devil's hot tub a try again sometime :D

Saturday didn't work out as planned. I drank a WEE bit too much Friday night hanging out at BFE, and wasn't good to tow/drive the next morning. We went and picked me up a new battery from Carquest, and I slapped it in. Rig started and ran jsut fine. So, the group headed to BFE without me, I followed about a hour after once I was good to drive (i.e. fully sober). By the time I got there, they were pretty much on their way to run Minor Threat. After hanging out in the BFE parking lot for about an hour and a half, I got a call to meet them at Greenday to run it and Lockjaw.

Just as I was cresting the hill, I noticed my voltage was reading low again :mad3: So, I give them a heads up, turned around, and bombed it back to the trailer, thinking instead my alternator was going. By this point it was too late in the day to make it to the store, swap it, and get it back to BFE before nightfall. So, I hungout at camp and got packed up to leave the next morning.

Overall still a good trip, but the two trails I wanted to run (Pritchett and Upper Helldorado), I didn't get to.

So, looks like I'll need to head back say...Memorial Day weekend to get those in :D

I'll let pictures and video speak from here!

Met Mr. Will Herndon out there in his WOD XJ Buggy :D

Ripped these photos from him. His rig looks killer and works as good as it looks!

17903577_10210687726521623_9061625954439891590_n_zpskaf3tgc8.jpg

17951961_10210687725961609_4434444944489033020_n_zpshjfays5a.jpg

There should have been a ton more pics, but the groups I wheel with tend to move pretty quickly. I know there's more out there, as well as video, but that's what I have for now.

Damage:

Metal Masher:

20170427_192735_zpsxxlzef1r.jpg

Hell Revenge:

The from the flop/roll wasn't too bad. Tagged the drivers head tube and tweaked the roof a little. The header panel got a bite, but not remotely to the point of replacement. I will need a new turn signal.

20170427_192757_zpshprmwaww.jpg

20170427_192818_zpssk4b4dey.jpg

So, before I left, my winch was having some engaging issues. It didn't want to go into free spool, and the handle wasn't doing anything. Got it torn apart the other night, the set screw that keeps the handle down wasn't there much anymore (my fault). So, I removed the 14 tons of grease from the winch, regreased it with Lucas Xtra Heavy Duty (didn't feel like waiting for Aeroshell 33MS, and this isn't a Warn :laughing:). It work a hell of a lot smoother now, free spool far easier, and easier to engage/disengage. The amount of grease in there was staggering.

20170424_205446_zpseagzqhps.jpg

20170424_205453_zpsfdssvbqy.jpg

On to the alternator...well, I found this dangling when I was leaving Moab and was cleaning off the truck and buggy at the carwash.

20170419_175319_zpsq5bkmysy.jpg

Yep, that's the plug to the alternator :laughing:

Either way, I snagged a 160A alternator from a 4.7 Durango to replace the WJ one currently in there.

20170427_190415_zpsl0ubw7ze.jpg

20170427_192713_zpswynptszh.jpg

The voltage had been reading high on the trail I noticed on Hells Revenge (~15.5V). It's reading around 16V when running, but I verified at the battery and it's running at ~13.95V. I'll double check the output at the alternator this evening. If they're close (i.e. within 0.1V), I'll just assume the gauge is off (seems to be common enough in the 4.0's, and i'm sure smacking the rig in the flop/roll didn't help).

Looking to run Carnage weekend after next. I was supposed to this weekend with NAXJA (actually Chinamans, but was going out a day early), but with the weather being sh*tty, and me needing to get some stuff done, I'm not going this weekend.

I need to get over to the Western Slope (Grand Junction, Rangely, Montrose, Gypsum) for some wheeling this year.

So items on the list for now (not in any hurry to get them done):

- Plumb the old Trans Cooler into the Hydro System

- New Muffler

I think I might try a Hushpower II. I've got a Pypes M-80 Muffler (straight through resonator really), and it's just too damn loud. At idle it isn't bad, but at 2k RPMS (where the buggy sits a lot going along the trail), the drone is to the point that I wanted ear plugs on Metal Masher. Seems either a Hushpower II, or a Spintech is the direction I need to go.

- A Redo of the Cooling sytem

My cooling system is working great overall, fan controller is doing it's job.

However, the 7 soft hoses and 4 hard tubes I have to route from front to back, are a giant PITA, and have very small pinhole leaks here and there (it would take months for them to get to the point of maybe a tablespoon).

So, I've decided I want to run braided hose front to back :eek:

I'll be getting another radiator (same Griffin radiator but with -16AN bungs), a new water pump and thermostat, and having -16AN bungs TIG'd onto them.

It will allow for a FAR cleaner, easier to maintain, etc. setup. I'll be able to route both hoses along the driver's side (I think), and away from the exhaust.

Unfortunately it's not going to be cheap...but it the end it will be well worth it to me.

Back