• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mounting bump stop on lower control arm ?

1-tonxj

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Well I was going to nount a tube off the frame just behind the shock about 3 inches out from rail and put a poly bump on the bottom this placement would have the bump meeting the arm as it swings up an inward meeting the arm , but whe flwxed I noticed the lowe arm.only has about 2inches before they hit the bottom of the frame rail where the stock LCA would mount , So I cut up some 2x3 .250 .rectangle tube at an angle to match the gap and welded ut on the arm just behind the upper mount at the lower...these are Claytons Radius arms... This should give me the contact want with poly bumps installed .

Noe the question is there a reason I should not do this ? The only thing I could see happening is nending the arm , but I doubt it ...But like I said I have not seen it in practice .

It's not used in practice because of basic physics makes it a really bad idea. Add a base and split the control arm and now you've added a force vector pulling the frame side mount down. The closer the bump stop is to the frame side mount, the more force will be applied to it. It just won't work.

I see no issue at the mount the bump point is just past the midway point on the arm ...maybe if I was jumping it at speed but it serves only as a stopping point for tire contact for slow speed crawling . That said it is not the best bump point , and I knew it sucked....lol...or I would not have asked, so will go with my first location just behind shock off frame ...I never bumped and limited it first build because it was slow speed only and then snapped a coil and ripped the shock hoops out after bombing down a road catching air , so better do it right .

Thanks for the reply posts .

Back