• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When did the XJ's jump in price or am I wrong?

KingOfTheHill

NAXJA Forum User
Ive owned 3 XJ's, most being in the 89-93 model and they were in fair quality and may of needed just minor work but now that im healthy again and dying to get an XJ again im looking on Craigslist and here and the prices seemed to have really increased.

I prefer the XJ over the Grand Cherokee and like more minimal options to reduce electrical issues but ive opened up to most but have they just been junked or totaled leaving them hard to find.

Hoping to find a weekender that could be registered and actually pass smog, I never really needed to go over 3" lifts for what I do with basically 31" tires to accommodate my hobbies and I love the 4.0 I6, thing is a beast! Last one had 323k on the stock motor and trans lol.

Just wondering what happened? seem to be hard to find that are in ok shape for a realistic price and curious why.

Anyone know what happened? They used to be in the 1-3k range and that was 5+ years ago but now they are 4k+ for what used to be 1500-3000, odd I thought

Last edited:
Ever heard of " Cash for Clunkers"? Thank Obummer for that one.

But not to worry, they will all be coming back as Hyundais and Kias .

I completely forgot about Cash for Clunkers. yeah I guess that would of been a big ding in the market.

Just didn't plan on dropping 5k for just a semi steady XJ. Dang, gonna have to think of another 4x4 platform or save quite a bit longer. I completely forgot about the Clunker program.

Last time I was cruising with the NAXJA crew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8gYTVqzpQg

They certainly have spiked. I bought my 2000 stock with 120k on it 3 years ago for 4500. I thought it fair for the mileage and condition. Earlier this year I was helping my buddy look for a low mileage (100k ish) xj and couldn't find any in decent shape for less than 5k. There were some but they go real quick. I should mention that my friend was adamant about it being late model and Green which really shrunk the pool. He ended up buying a 2wd 99 for 3500k with 90000 miles and I did a 4wd drive swap. But if you are fine with 90's xj's and are good with higher miles just be patient, they are out there. Most people selling even moderately built xj's on Craigslist are hopelessly trying to get their investments back. If you look for any length of time you will see that nobody is buying those 7k+ Craigslist xj's.

They certainly have spiked. I bought my 2000 stock with 120k on it 3 years ago for 4500. I thought it fair for the mileage and condition. Earlier this year I was helping my buddy look for a low mileage (100k ish) xj and couldn't find any in decent shape for less than 5k. There were some but they go real quick. I should mention that my friend was adamant about it being late model and Green which really shrunk the pool. He ended up buying a 2wd 99 for 3500k with 90000 miles and I did a 4wd drive swap. But if you are fine with 90's xj's and are good with higher miles just be patient, they are out there. Most people selling even moderately built xj's on Craigslist are hopelessly trying to get their investments back. If you look for any length of time you will see that nobody is buying those 7k+ Craigslist xj's.

Thanks for the great info.

Before I moved to the flat lands of TX and owned land I had an amazing XJ that someone got a great deal on when I moved and sold it off but i do remember that selling quick and I didn't price it for a fast sale.

the 3 XJ's ive had have all been late 80 early 90's and loved them, the simplicity was what I loved most and it being a secondary car its not getting a lot of miles so mileage doesn't scare me much. all 3 had between 250k-334k miles on them and I know the XJ's well enough to avoid the ones hiding issues (well enough).

I'll just have to keep an eye out for one thats semi dependable since its not a daily driver. I don't need anything to build over 33's or anything crazy.

I landed mine for $800, salvage title but only 144K on the drive train. Replaced a water pump and it runs great. Getting back into XJ, got a bad itch. They're out there but yeah, I'm seeing them for way too high priced.

It's not new. When I bought mine in '01 I ended up buying new because it wasn't much more than a clean late model. I've noticed that clean MJS have gotten pricier than when I picked min up ~12 years ago.

It's not new. When I bought mine in '01 I ended up buying new because it wasn't much more than a clean late model. I've noticed that clean MJS have gotten pricier than when I picked min up ~12 years ago.

Disagree, bought my 97 in 03 for $4k. Sold 2 XJs this year for over 4k each. They are worth more now than they were 15 years ago.

Decided to buy my first XJ almost two years ago. I too was shocked to see what people were asking for poorly maintained or abused XJ's here in SoCal.
After months of searching, I found this clean 2000 with 178,000 miles, 8.25 rear axle in Phoenix for $4000. Flew out to Phoenix in Aug. 2016 on cheap SW flight and drove 'er home.
Seller wasn't the most honest guy in the world or was just a dumbazz about the mechanical issues I found, but hey, I was looking for a project, I got what I was looking for!

Been spending money and turning wrenches ever since.

And no, I wasn't looking for yellow, but it just seemed too clean to pass up.

TR7Cmx4l.jpg

B8JzjSDl.jpg

5T8ivj7l.jpg

Here in mid MO....the going price was around 2500-3000 for a decent condition xj about a yr ago.
I found my clean 99 with a 3inch lift, poor tires, driver's door in need of a replacement in the future, passenger door with a bit of rust on bottom edge for $3600. Very good xj to start with.
Very happy with the purchase....have mechanically gone thru it in the past yr...gaskets, fuel pump, u-joints, new exhaust, etc. Was awesome to get my second xj...previously had 86 yrs ago.

There was a Santa sighting in that video, I wonder how he’s doing

Hey Bill, how are you?

Santa is living the life down in Mexico on his sailboat. He checks in occasionally on Facebook.

Back