• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow rig buildup

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '88 limited that I would like to make into a tow rig for my Toyota, but still be able to wheel it and actualy flex in the rear.
What are my options for variable spring rates?

I was thinking about an airbag setup(still limited flex) or a hydraulic suspension like on the newer landcruisers.

The method for towing is a Stinger I want to mount to the xj, doubling as a rear bumper. I realize this will require a fair bit of frame stiffening and replacement, but because of this decision the rear suspension will have to hold both it's own weight, and that of the front end of the toyota.

Some of upgrades planned:
D44HP front
Front mid/long arms
14bolt semifloat rear
Triangulated 4 link rear
NP203/205 doubler
Cheromanche/flatbed rear.
4.7 stroker

I need ideas for the suspension. No big hurry, I have all winter to figure it out.

crazyoffroader said:
I need ideas for the suspension. No big hurry, I have all winter to figure it out.

uhhhh.... all winter huh?

all of that work, time and $$$ and id bet you have probably 15k into your rig and still dont have the wheelbase to control a load...

XJ_ranger said:
uhhhh.... all winter huh?

all of that work, time and $$$ and id bet you have probably 15k into your rig and still dont have the wheelbase to control a load...

good point, but tow trucks average ~110-120", and the truck I got the stinger off of measured 110" from front hub to rear hub, and the axles are plenty wide.

just causeit can pull it, doesn't mean it should. go out and buy an old 3/4 ton chevy for like 2 grand and call it your tow rig. Not so easy to stop an xj with a 16 foot trailer behind it.

snacob14 said:
just causeit can pull it, doesn't mean it should. go out and buy an old 3/4 ton chevy for like 2 grand and call it your tow rig. Not so easy to stop an xj with a 16 foot trailer behind it.

No trailer, all truck. The stinger is a hydraulic lift that grabs the front tires of the vehicle being towed.
And the rig you mentoned wouldn't have any better stoping power than 3/4 ton ford d44 discs and rear 14bolt semifloat drums.

i think some heavy duty leaf springs off of a junkyard 1 ton are in order along with air bags... that "stinger" will weigh enough, then add a vehicle...

for the front - once again i think leaf springs - there is a reason that Ford still uses leaf springs on their 1 ton stuff today...

Buy a real "tow rig". The xj isn't really a towing platform. Its unibody, relatively short and narrow, and what about transmission and cooling issues? I have a F250 and without the trailer brakes working it will get pretty hairy in an emergency stop. This is just pulling, no extra weight on the rear. You're not from Md are you? Is so please do me a favor and don't heavy tow w/your xj, that way I won't have to fear driving and looking out for you!

i think a seprate towrig would be the better option. vehicle weight and those brakes that are on the axles are not going to be adequate for what you are planning to use them for. this is why people upgrade to discs and such when adding axles. if your stuck on a cherokee towrig get a fsj put a 14 bolt in it get a diesel and a good trailer. fsj are cheap to get and have a good wheel base for a tow rig

XJ_ranger said:
there is a reason that Ford still uses leaf springs on their 1 ton stuff today...
Ford switched to a radius arm setup in their '05 models. That's when they stopped using leaf springs in the front.

Okie Terry said:
Ford switched to a radius arm setup in their '05 models. That's when they stopped using leaf springs in the front.

hmm - i assumed they stayed the same from the 04 that my grandpa has - guess not...

Okie Terry said:
It's actually a pretty nice ride now.
yeah - when he isnt being a retired person touring the country with the 5th wheel - the thing rides like CRAP...

with the weight of the 5th wheel - decent...

Back