• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ with MJ bed "Cherokee Sport Trac"

sweetjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks.. I am going to attempt this project over the winter. At this point I am down to finding a suitable MJ.

In my research I was told that someone in this group has attempted/completed such a project.

I was unable to find anything concrete about it on the postings. I am curious if anyone can help me out with any information as to who did it or anything of the sort.

Thanks a lot!!
Morgan

try doing a search using the word "chop" or different combinations of.

actually, there are several chops here.

most chop jobs require some involved reinforcing. You better love fabbin'!

hth

Beezil,

Cool.. thanks for the help..

I think I faild to qualify a little.. I need a "full size" bed. Not one of those Safari style things. Cool as they are one of the primary goals is to haul around a couple dirt bikes and the like. So a stubby safari bed is a no go.

Any other hints?! :)

Thanks!
Morgan

in that case, i'd start with a short box MJ, extend the frame ~3 feet and extend the cab with 2 more doors. with XJ being uniframe, i'd think, you'll have a hard time doing what you want. MJs have a 'real' fram behind the cab.

well it wold probably be cheaper to buy a old truck to haul your stuff with....

Mark Hinkley is doing something kind of similar......http://www.orgsmfg.com/project/95xj.htm

Seems like too much work to me to just haul around some dirt bikes, I'd just get a Toyota pickup and do an SAS if I wanted a hard-core rig to haul with. If you're into it to build something unique though, cool.

Morgan, do you need a full cab to go along with the full size bed? If you're going to be getting an MJ for the bed anyway, why not just use the whole thing?

dennisuello: I thought about that. I still MIGHT do it. I have to get the MJ first and see what I have to work with. The problem is that putting on a secondary compartment would be -far- more difficult than attaching a bed to the back of the Cherokee. I have to build a subframe no matter what, so attaching a subframe to the Cherokee body and to the "bed" area of the MJ would be far easier and less ugly than attempting to add all kinds of sheetmetal and glass and all the trim and associated B.S..

ReBeL XJ: Yes, it would. But that's just not the same now is it.

XJ92: Thanks for the link. Nice to have and I can tell there is already some good info. But another key part to the project is I don't want a single cab. I NEED either an "extra cab" or the 4 door. 2 dirt bikes, full race and camping gear take up a ton of space. Even a full size pickup w/o the extra cab is unacceptable. I could go buy a full size pickup with an extra cab. But that brings a host of new problems. I am seeking a vehicle I can use, drive everyday and NOT have ANOTHER vehicle to insure.

Phil Weeks: Phil - Please see above remarks :)

Thanks guys.

Got one.. don't want it. It's a hassle.

I want an extra cab MJ. :) Jeep won't build one. So I need to build it.

I belive there are a few statements that apply here:

"If you have to ask, you won't understand."

and

"Because I can."

:)

Why do I want to do this? Because it's what I want! :)

I assume you mean like this?
38788672.jpg

It's just a photo that's been floating around the web, so I don't have any more info other than the pic. Looks like he grafted the last few inches of the MJ cab to the Cherokee body (including part of the door). Don't know for sure though, it's just a guess.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Well, that certainly explains why I can't find any info on it. :D
Irregardless, is this what SweetJeep is looking for in an end product?
Jeep on!
--Pete

xjnation said:
its a photoshop chop job I remember the original post on PBB about a year ago, It aint real:D

If it isn't a chop job then other people would have pics. This would be too good to not pass around.

Do have a small question about the pic though. If I can see the interior passenger's door of the white XJ through the driver's window behind it at this angle, then why can I see through where the front passenger's door should be on the red one and see the grass behind? Doesn't look like it's set up with suicide doors to me. Also, if it's a reflection, why isn't the rear reflecting also.

grizzley02360 said:
If it isn't a chop job then other people would have pics. This would be too good to not pass around.

Do have a small question about the pic though. If I can see the interior passenger's door of the white XJ through the driver's window behind it at this angle, then why can I see through where the front passenger's door should be on the red one and see the grass behind? Doesn't look like it's set up with suicide doors to me. Also, if it's a reflection, why isn't the rear reflecting also.

the drivers window has a piece of paper taped to it. some peeps on ju have blown up pics of it..

2 quick things

Pete M said:
Well, that certainly explains why I can't find any info on it. :D
Irregardless, is this what SweetJeep is looking for in an end product?

1.) Check out the "Show us your MJs" thread in the Jeep Showcase forum. There is another fairly convincing MJ "Sport TracK" photochop in that thread.

2.) IRregardless isn't a word. Just thought I'd mention it - pet peeve and all. LOL

r@m

I know. :D I just like to use it to annoy other grammar sticklers like myself. :D :D :D I've long since lost count as to how many arguements (yes, actual *arguements*) I've gotten into over "less" and "fewer". One guy's arguement was based on the sign he read at the grocery store; "12 items or less". Oh yeah, everyone knows the geniouses there are *always* right! :D How about "done" and "finished"?

Oops, stealing the thread there. Let's get back to the crewcab debacle. How about I rescue myself form the onslought of geek and nerd references by linking another pic of the crewcab (just now saw it on JU) to here:
38924407.jpg

If this one's a photchop, my hat is off to the guy who did it! :D WOW! Original post for the pic is at:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=462621
Jeep on!
--Pete

Last edited:
Cool beans!

I think it is real then - unless someone did a really good photochop, printed it on their color printer, and then took another digi pic of it on their keyboard.

Whatever...what I learned from this picture (real or not) is that the long box on a 4 door cab is too long for my tastes.

r@m

Back