• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift kit on the way need prep help

JMLichner

NAXJA Forum User
My lift kit is on the way, Should be here next week from rubicon, my question is, I have 2, 2000 XJ's to lift both are getting the same treatment, but in the mean time what prep work should i be doing to get the truck's getting them ready for "lift day" ie: spraying bolts? what spray? lossening bolts, also any tips or advise on the sye ,(hack and tap model) or even any advise on the over all install its a re6130 4.5 inch lift any help would be great

[email protected]
[email protected]

Spray, spray, spray...

I use PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench and haven't noticed much difference between the two. A lot of guys seem to like the PB Blaster. After you break the bolt or nut loose, oil it and wire brush the threads if you can to aid further removal. When you start putting things back together, use anti-sieze on all bolts and nuts.

Rear shock bolts seem to be the most common ones to break. When (not if) they do, remember that a broken EZ-out or screw extractor is an evil thing and will cause more problems that it will ever solve. I would prefer a full leaf pack, but went with an add-a-leaf to avoid all the problems with rusted spring-eye and shackle bolts. This will catch up to me when I replace my shackles with longer ones. You can run, but you can't hide.

Have a stand-bye vehicle to get to work on Monday, just in case :)

the work thin is cool I live 175 yards from work so I use my human powered 2 wheeled off road vehical just about every day anyway,,

PB Blaster == at autozone ?? anti-seize sane place
when the rear shock bolt breaks what do i do??

any special tools?

Don't know if you changed your rear shocks yet, but if the bolts break take an impact hammer and hit the broken bolts. This will break the welded nut on the other side free and then drop some bolts down through the holes.

You will most likely breaks the bolts, they broke in a second using the impact gun. I used Grade 8 to replace them. Make sure your U-bolt's fit. I was sent incorrect U-bolts and had to run out to Advanced at 3pm on Sunday. The guy I did mine with had a full mechanics tool set, every socket and wrench possible and it still took us 35 hours including the wait time for the driveshaft and alignment.

Not to be a devil's advocate, but if you haven't paid off your Jeep, you might want to look into doing that first. I've calculated my stero and lift and my Jeep would be paid off right now.

PM sent.

JMLichner said:
My lift kit is on the way, Should be here next week from rubicon, my question is, I have 2, 2000 XJ's to lift both are getting the same treatment, but in the mean time what prep work should i be doing to get the truck's getting them ready for "lift day" ie: spraying bolts? what spray? lossening bolts, also any tips or advise on the sye ,(hack and tap model) or even any advise on the over all install its a re6130 4.5 inch lift any help would be great

[email protected]
[email protected]

I put the same lift on my 00 xj in December, Started spraying it down with a product called Deep Creep made by seafoam - this stuff is the best, it will wick its way to the top of the bolt.

As they stated you will snap the rear shock bolts. I just tapped em out, used some grade 8's to mount a pair of bar pin eliminators so I would not have to go there again.

The only bolt we broke on the 10 hour install ( 2 of us working - 1 each side) was the front bolt on the rear pass side leaf spring.

As far as the sye, I am saving up to get the it From Tom Woods ( approx 400.00) but in the mean time I tossed a set of rubicons 4.5 degree shims in, now I have very little vibe. except of course the 33 12.5 mtrs.

Later

jjepfreek

Bill

For the SYE. I just did mine and I followed the advice on this link: http://www.dpgoffroad.com/rubiconsye.htm.

In addition to this I also kept the output shaft spinning in revese while I drilled. This allowed me to keep the hole centered. Anytime I got off center the drill would vibrate horribly. It took a lot longer than I thought to do it. The good news is that with my RE 4.5" springs, 4* shim, and H-n-T SYE I have 0 vibes.

If you don't already have one I suggest getting a T-handle for the tap that comes in the kit. I didn't have one and thought I was going to break the tap a couple of times.

Hope this helps,
Rough

Rough: That's a really good idea to make sure the hole is right on target...That's pretty much the only thing that i was worried about with doing the hack n tap...aside from breaking the bit off inside the shaft, which would for the most part be a side product of a mis-aligned hole... sweet deal... can't wait for the insurance check for my front bumper damage to pay for my lift...

JMLichner said:

I read your profile and only found that you live in Nazareth. Not knowing which state that this is in, I can't advise as to how badly your bolts are rusted from snow melting compounds.

My Cherokee is a 97. It spent 1 year in New Jersey and the rest of the time in Georgia.

I just did my first lift ever just a few days ago. In preparation for the lift I sprayed all the bolts down good. My buddie, who is the mechanic between the two of us, told me I was wasting my time as all the bolts looked clean.

He got under the Jeep with a few wrenches and turned every screw that wouyld need to be unscrewed for the lift. He said there was not one problem. HE actually took out every shock bolt and then put anti-seize on each one and put them back in.

On install day. Every bolt came out easily. Didn't break one. He told me he wasn't surprised, but I was happily surprised. It seems that Southern Jeeps don't seem to have the problem that Northern Jeeps do. So depending where you live you may be just fine.

To make the installeasy and quick, you may want to adress the shock bolt issue by removing then reinstalling all of them. It should take under an hour if all goes well. If there is a problem, you have time to address it before "lift day"

Hope this helps-

Jeff-97XJ

Back