• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what angle shims do I need for 4 1/2 " lift (3" leafs and 1/12 from shackles)

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
what angle shims do I need for 4 1/2 " lift (3" leafs and 1/12 from shackles)

I am replacing my budget lift (bought it that way) with 3' S-10 leafs on a
stock main leaf, and keeping my 3" shackles. This should give me 4 1/2 inch lift in the rear on my 90 xj.

What angle shims do I need, and where can I get them.

If I end up needing longer U bolts where can I get them.

Re: what angle shims do I need for 4 1/2 " lift (3" leafs and 1/12 from shackles)

Only your angle finder knows for sure.

Some parts stores will have shims and U-bolts, especially if they deal with custom parts. Otherwise look for a spring shop. There's usually one in every town.

Re: what angle shims do I need for 4 1/2 " lift (3" leafs and 1/12 from shackles)

lapaul said:
I am replacing my budget lift (bought it that way) with 3' S-10 leafs on a
stock main leaf, and keeping my 3" shackles. This should give me 4 1/2 inch lift in the rear on my 90 xj.
What angle shims do I need, and where can I get them.
If I end up needing longer U bolts where can I get them.

You might not need any angled shims. If you are just replacing the entire spring pack minus the main leaf, then you probably won't be affecting any angles with the change you are making. If no angles are changed, then what you already have should be right. But as he said above, check the angles after you put the springs on. You can even use the little plastic protractor from your very first math set if you can't get a better one. If you are running a standard driveshaft, the angle on the t-case end needs to be identical to the angle on the diff end. With a CV shaft and SYE, you need the diff end to be parallel to the shaft so that it points directly at the tcase. However, with 3" shackles, you should already have angled shims to account for their pointing your diff up. If not, do you have vibes? If you need angled shims, try tomken, RE, rocky-road, and lots of other places. Spring shops should also be able to set you up. You can buy ubolts at a spring shop or a parts store or online.

My original lift had shims that probably would be the right size, except that when my springs went one of them came off the jeep sometime, so I only have one.

I could measure the angles after I put the springs on, but then I'd have to put the springs on again, so I'd rather just get the right shims before I do the job.

Somewhere someone must have calcualted the right angle for an xj with a
4 1/2 inch lift.

Where is the least expensive place to get shims. I saw one pair advertised for $40, but that seems a bit high.

The catch is, and this is true with alot of XJ issues, every vehicle is different. One guy may use 2 degrees and another 6 degrees for the same lift, just to account for the differences in vehicles. If you want to do it right, install the springs, measure the angles, go buy the right shims.

Any good 4x4 shop should have shims in stock, and most napas carry a variety of u-bolts.

are there any written instructions on how to measure the angles,

It would seem hard to measure the difference between say 3 degrees and 4 or 5 degreeeswith any accuracy

lapaul said:
are there any written instructions on how to measure the angles,

It would seem hard to measure the difference between say 3 degrees and 4 or 5 degreeeswith any accuracy

Hence the angle finder that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34214

Thats the one I use, does its job just fine.

Looks like it would do the job, but I hate to pay the $7.00 handling fee for a $5 item.

Back