• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trip Prep

LBEXJ

NAXJA Member #721
Since this is going to be about a 16 hour drive for me, I'm going to disconnect my front drive shaft at the differential and secure (hang) it to the frame so it does not rotate all the way out to Hazelton. I'm sure this will not hurt my gas milage either.

What other suggestions does anyone have for those of us who are having to drive our (non-trailered) rigs out there?

Les

if the wind is at your back, put up a mast and a sail to use mama nature to help push you along, then once back at camp we can us the mast as a pole for the girls to dance on. Make sure it's brass or copper so they can swing on it w/o getting slivers. :D

lbexj said:
Since this is going to be about a 16 hour drive for me, I'm going to disconnect my front drive shaft at the differential and secure (hang) it to the frame so it does not rotate all the way out to Hazelton. I'm sure this will not hurt my gas milage either.

What other suggestions does anyone have for those of us who are having to drive our (non-trailered) rigs out there?

Les

The first few times I headed to CO/UT (30-35hrs), I used to take the shaft off completely (only 4 more bolts and you don't have to worry about the hanging), but, the Rockies were always fickle and sometimes in September I wanted to have 4WD available in the snowy passes - so I started to leave it in and, to be honest, never noticed any significant wear or gas mileage changes.

However, let's "assume" that snow in the Appalachians will not be an issue next week! :D

Actually, the greatest effect was that I used to carry a lot of stuff (spare, coolers, etc.) on the roof rack and the wind resistance did seem to affect mpg. Carry as much stuff as you can inside, or invest in a hitch haul rack (if you have a rear receiver).

Oh yeah, one more thing, last fall after I had been on the road for 30 hours or so, one of my starter bolts fell out!!!! Luckily it was at a rest stop, but, I have no friggin' idea how it loosened up to begin with - I have to admit that little item was never on any of my pre-flight checks. Just goes to show you - check everything over, a couple of times, before you leave and these wonderful XJ's will always find something to surprise you.

Safe ride.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Back