• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake booster questions

SV1CEC

NAXJA Forum User
Gentlemen,

I have a brake booster which was probably fitted in a 1991 (or later) 4.0 lt Commanche. It's much bigger than the one in my 1984 2.5 lt XJ, and it also has a part which does not exist on my booster, a long protruding thing with a wire connector (or connectors) at its end. It still has Mopar stickers on it, so maybe later on, I can post the part number.

My mechanic saw it and he says that it needs a new master cylinder to fit my truck. My current master cylinder looks small to fit on the opening of the booster.

My questions are :

- Is there a way to tell if the booster is OK, before installing it on the truck? I wouldn't like to invest in a new master cylinder and then find out that the booster is damaged already. The booster is looking brand new inside, on the outside some paint is peeling away, I assume from brake fluid leaking on it?

- Do you think the new booster with the appropriate master cylinder, will provide increased braking performance over the stock setup? In other words, would upgrading the booster and master cylinder be a improvement?

- What master cylinder would fit this booster? The one on my truck seems to small in diameter to fit there, so what shall I look for?

- What is the electric connection for? I assume it is for a warning light. Since I am already using the dashboard from that Commanche on my XJ (so I assume the warning light is already there) can I easily connect that thing to the dashboard and have a working warning light? Any schematics would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help you can provide.

Rgds
-----------
John SV1CEC

Back