• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear leaf spring problem

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
heres the situation: my leaf spring in the rear is OEM with a 3.5" add a leaf. after about a year, i noticed that the right rear side is starting to sag about an inch. its not totally noticable, but kinda annoying to me because i notice it all the time. is this from the add a leaf, or is it because i took it offroad and flexed the @#$$!@!#&^&* out of the OEM leaf spring? can i solve this by buying a new add a leaf, or should i buy a new leaf spring? I know its not the shocks, cuz i just bought new ones.

shimmy said:
heres the situation: my leaf spring in the rear is OEM with a 3.5" add a leaf. after about a year, i noticed that the right rear side is starting to sag about an inch. its not totally noticable, but kinda annoying to me because i notice it all the time. is this from the add a leaf, or is it because i took it offroad and flexed the @#$$!@!#&^&* out of the OEM leaf spring? can i solve this by buying a new add a leaf, or should i buy a new leaf spring? I know its not the shocks, cuz i just bought new ones.

Dealing with the same thing. From what I have found and what I was told... You can have the spring pack re-arched or just buy a new set.

Also.... it's called the "XJ Lean" :)

Its pretty normal for any XJ thats wheeled and if you rive it on the street with out the swaybar on since it plants the right rear. I'm going to put a air bag in the right rear like drag racers do.

I'll get flamed for this, but I'll say it anyway.

You could throw a small block back there on the one side to level things out. Granted it's not the best way to solve the problem, but it will work perfectly and it will be dirt cheap. Total cost, block and u-bolts $20 max.

DO NOT run just one block. Either get them rearched or buy new spring packs. RE has new 3.5" packs for $135 a piece. Are you running full length AAL's? If not, these are known for sagging. Rustys has full length ones for about $60.

If your just looking to do a quick fix for appearance you could probably do this. But, if you plan on taking it offroad again you don't want to because of flex and unwanted suspension strains. If you want to do it right, then do it the correct way.

Last edited:
If the springs are trash in the first place, I don't see the big deal. He can level his rig out cheaply and save a ton of money.

I bought used MJ springs this summer, installed them on my MJ, and they sat crooked. I talked to a reputable local off road shop and he told me to install a 5/8" block to level things out. I did, wheeled the truck all summer and fall, no problems yet. 10,000 + miles and no problems, don't forsee any either.

Is it the right way? Probably not. Does it work? Yes. Is it safe? Personally, I'd say so - it works for me.

So if you want to drop cash on new springs for the same lift you have, go for it. Personally, I'd install a 5/8" block and take the money you saved on springs and save for a bigger lift or something to improve your rig.

Lawnman,
Your talking about 5/8", he's talking about 1", there's a difference. If you had a 32" on one side and a 33" on the other, would YOU just air down the 33" so your truck would always be level. He asked for advice and that's what I'm giving him. I don't like to give advice that could cause damage to the vehicle, or even worse, someone getting hurt. I don't ever tell anyone to go the expensive route just to see if they'll do it. If i suggest spending a little more for a job done right, it's because I believe in doing it the correct way.

I toatally agree with you about doing things the right way.

Mine was about 1" higher on the drivers side when I installed the used springs. I only needed a 5/8" block on the passenger side because when you raise one side, the other side recieves more weight, therefore the other side drops. This was my experience and the logic given to me by the owner of the off road shop.

Only the owner can decide what is right for his rig, that's what forums are for, to give opinions and experiences.

KISS! - Swap the springs side to side - let the other side sag evenly and repeat - add a match pair of blocks later if your need the height...

Mine has so much body roll I swap side on both the coils and leaves about every 6 to 8 months - it sits level on flat ground and has been working for 5 years now...

Matt :roll:

That's an even better idea and it doesn't cost anything. I was just trying to explane to Lawnman that cheap doesn't always mean correct and 4x4 shops don't always know everything, even though they think they do. I am by far an expert, but i do know right from wrong.

robert stalberger said:
That's an even better idea and it doesn't cost anything. I was just trying to explane to Lawnman that cheap doesn't always mean correct and 4x4 shops don't always know everything, even though they think they do. I am by far an expert, but i do know right from wrong.

"Right" is a relative term. And yes, 4x4 shops don't know everything.

If you are willing to swap springs and coils every 6-8 months, that's great. Wouldn't the saggy spring be saggy no matter what side it's on? Swapping a saggy spring from side to side shouldn't change anything as I can see it, the opposite side just sags.

I hate to argue, especially online, but I'm not "wrong" persay. What defines "right" form "wrong" is based on function and safety as I see it. I can guarentee my springover MJ performs as any other springover MJ without that 5/8" block I have. I fail to see how I'm wrong. You can argue indefinatley about how it is wrong, but it's working.

Maybe you wouldn't run it, that's your right. But it does work and could work in the application here.

I never said it was WRONG to do it, i was just mearly saying it was the incorrect way to properly fixing the problem. I'm glad that is working on your vehicle and that it still performs to your expectations. We both see eye to eye on safety being a major factor in offroading. I'm just a little anal on who i go wheelin with. For example, yesterday before we hit the trail, a guy showed up to base camp with a stock Willie's flat fender. I have no problems with this model of vehicle, but he showed up knowing that his Jeep wasn't in top condition (engine or drivetrain). When he pulled up, he had smoke coming from every where and alot of clanking and popping. The places that we go aren't any area for a vehicle in this condition to go, but he still argued that he would be fine. The reason this bothers me is because of the fact that if he breaks down out there, guess who also has to call it a day to help this guy back. I'm in no way an asshole on the trail, but when everyone knows that the vehicle isn't going to make it out there, even before you leave camp, you should leave it behind and ride with someone else till you get it ready for the challenges that 4 wheelin offers. Like i said, I'm glad that this worked for you, I'm just trying to offer my opinion for known reliablity and safety. I hope that your setup continues to work and you have a great time with your vehicle.

LAWNMAN323 said:
"Right" is a relative term. And yes, 4x4 shops don't know everything.

If you are willing to swap springs and coils every 6-8 months, that's great. Wouldn't the saggy spring be saggy no matter what side it's on? Swapping a saggy spring from side to side shouldn't change anything as I can see it, the opposite side just sags.

Usually the body roll from engine torque causes this issue - so no; swapping sides will not just make the saggy spring be on the other side...

The un-sagged spring will now be loaded with the forces that caused the original one to sag and they will even out...

Robert - there needs to be more people like you on the trail, go prepared or don't go at all. I completley agree that the flatty you mentioned would not be the best person to wheel with. I doubt he had spares either.

And thanks Matt for that explanation - makes sense to me.

The funny thing is, is that he did have a spare, but looked to be the original one from 1957. Good luck on the trails and look forward to swaping more experiences and opinions. After all, that's what these forums are for, wether we all see eye to eye or not. Take it easy, or any way you can get.

Back