• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

guys w/ 6"/8" lift and rear leaves, suspension balance?

CheapXJ

NAXJA Forum User
What are you guys running and how well does it balance out?

I just picked up some SJ 8" RR coils (supposedly 275 in/lb rate) and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to balance that height in the rear without having any kind of "stiff cricket" syndrome.

gonna probably run fullwidth HP44/9" w/ the radius arms, hi-steer and the trackbar relocated to the top of the axle.

I'd like to mount up stock comanche leaves in the rear w/ a YJ boomerang shackle and hopefully that'll get me where I want to be.

I'm plannin on running 38/39" TSL/SXs with this setup and I don't want to have to limit uptravel at all (I'm cut for 36s at 4" and can stuff 'em all the way to the stock bumpstops in the rear without rubbing)

if you're running the coils in the stock Ford location (above the radius arm mount) you're going to add 3" of lift to the front, so with your 8" coils you'll net aprox 11" of lift.

just thought I'd throw that out.

I've got the same set up, I have Alcan 7.5" coils and a 1.5" shackle, the Alcan springs actually net me closer to 9" lift before the shackle tho.

I'm running 38's

815gxj38-med.jpg

so how well is it balanced as far as flex?

I thought the stock ford mounts were only good for about 2" lift.

I don't have anything against cutting a few coils off the spring (stiffer is good, and i'm lookin for 320-350 lb/in coils anyways)

CheapXJ said:
I just picked up some SJ 8" RR coils (supposedly 275 in/lb rate) and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to balance that height in the rear without having any kind of "stiff cricket" syndrome.

Huh???

To me, "SJ" connotes a full-size Cherkee or Grand Wagoneer. They were leaf sprung front and rear. What's this about coils?

Eagle said:
Huh???

To me, "SJ" connotes a full-size Cherkee or Grand Wagoneer. They were leaf sprung front and rear. What's this about coils?

Gotta be SkyJacker.

Back