• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Life automotive bulbs?

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
I have always wondered if there are downsides to LL bulbs? They claim twice the life and are usually the same price or pennies more from what I remember. I always seem to buy the LL when there's the option but when they are sold out I don't seem to ever notice a difference other than feeling cheating on the longer life.

For non critical bulbs like markers lights or license plate lights is there any pros/cons with LL vs standard? Can standard be that much brighter than LL to even make a difference in a marker bulb?

Always curious and google didn't find an answer for me...

I can't be of any help....but on a similar note, let me rant for a second.

I bought a package of 12 LED bulbs for my house, within one year more than half of them quit. What gives, LED are supposed to last much longer?! Not even close to lasting as long as the incandescents.

GGRRRRRR!

Please continue your regularly scheduled discussion.

I bought a package of 12 LED bulbs for my house, within one year more than half of them quit. What gives, LED are supposed to last much longer?! Not even close to lasting as long as the incandescents.

GGRRRRRR!

One word - Hyperikon.

www.hyperikon.com Built in San Diego - great customer service.

David Bricker / SYR

One way LL bulbs were explained to me was that they has thicker filaments, essentially they require a bit more power to produce the same amount of light as their non-LL counterparts. As to whether there is a perceivable difference I can't say.

GGRRRRRR!

You got gypped.

I switched over the bulk of our bulbs to LED about 3 1/2 years ago. The fixture that sees the most use of all started losing its bulbs a couple of months ago. All the others are still going strong. I am much happier with these than I ever was with CFLs.

If you decide to go with Hyperikon (this is the first I have heard of them, but I will have to look into them eventually...might be a while before I need enough bulbs to justify it though) they are in my neck of the woods. It would not be a problem for me to pick something up and then trade for those CDs on the next AAT.

Edit: It looks like they include shipping in their prices.

Last edited:
I put (6) 3' 2,200 lumen sticks on the ceiling of my garage. Instant on no matter how cold.
What a difference over other light sources!

As to the long life bulbs, I haven't seen a difference from a user standpoint.
The times that bulbs are stressed the most is when lit and jostled - like when Off-Road.
Since I don't do much in the way of night trail runs anymore, I can't say I've had much issue with bulb life.

Operator error, bad wiring, etc. The list goes on. Haha. Potentially, power surges, and certain fixtures can be the culprit.
Buy them from Costco, return the defective ones, buy more?

GGRRRRRR!

Back