• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Duramax vs Old J20

Egodfrey

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently deployed and definitly want a tow rig when i get back.

I am debating between a duramax 2500 or an old j20 truck.

The duramax will be a ton more money but im sure will tow better. The j20 will be friggin sweet, but harder to find and will probably require some work.

I know duramax's tow amazing. I hear j20's with 360's do great, but no personal experience. Anyone have any experience towing with them?

Other input?

neither, get a dodge ram with a CUMMINS :greensmok

im assuming you are planning on towing your rig on a trailer, you'll definitely want a diesel truck for this. I've experienced the whole towing with an old gas V8 truck and its no comparison to towing with a turbo diesel. if its just going to be your tow pig, why waste your time with an old gas sucking jeep truck just to keep the jeep theme? diesel will be mo betta with mo powa and mo mpg = win!
if you're not set on a duramax you can find older dodges and fords for less $ and arguably the same if not better reliability.

I also just always wanted a j20...but the mpg is what is killing me on the decision to get one

Get the J20 and put a 6BT in it!

Got a J20 in mind? If you decide not to buy it I want to see it.

I tow with a 318 right now, it full on SUCKS on hills but does decently otherwise. Definitely wouldn't choose to do so voluntarily, but the price was right.

6bt swap, any threads on that..never done a swap but if I wouldnt be opposed to trying

Get the J20 and put a 6BT in it!

Got a J20 in mind? If you decide not to buy it I want to see it.

I tow with a 318 right now, it full on SUCKS on hills but does decently otherwise. Definitely wouldn't choose to do so voluntarily, but the price was right.

Help me do the swap and im game.

When I had my 92 dakota I searched over at 4btswap.com forums. Mostly 4bt's but some 6bt swaps also.

What about a swapping a souped up 4bt? Sorry im not diesel savvy. But i like thios j20 swap idea. Because i always wanted a j truck.

Maybe be a dd. But even if it is if i take my time with the swap and do it right then it should be fine.

I have just always liked the old j trucks. I really want one, but i want the towing power of a diesel at the same time. Hard debate.

I'm down for helping stuff it in, you should probably start looking for parts if you decide to go that route though. IIRC one ton axles are easy to find and bolt-in for some years (some Chevy axles fit the pass drop ones, I think?) and the engine compartment is freakin' massive, so you can fit pretty much whatever you want in there.

I really want a j20, always have. And yea i might need some help getting a 6bt in there. Hopefully by the time i am back from afghanistan i can acquire most of the parts.

J20's have the worst frame of any fullsize truck made, not somthing id be towing with, id vote for Cummins Ram, cheaper and easier to work on the a Dmax, with that being said im getting a Hemi 2500 Ram, mostly due to price

Get the D-max and be done with it...I sold my 07' 3500 Dmax and I regret it everyday. It was way better than my Cummins and I am currently trying to find another because I fuct up and sold it...

i love J trucks too, but there is something to be said about having something new and RELIABLE bc all the parts bolted to it were meant to be there from the factory.

Back