• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So Cal Machine Shop Recommendations 2018

ZJeepX

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All,

I know it's been talked about before but the most recent info I can find is from 2013. Figured it would be helpful to know who people are going to now days for machine work.

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my 4.0. Nothing fancy, just back to stock. The block is torn down bare and ready to go.

I know Russ is the man for 4.0s and I have made some phone calls / sent some emails. I'm pretty sure the guy is busier than all hell already so it could be a while until I hear back from him.:eeks1:

In the mean time, do any of you have recommendations for shops that do good work in So Cal? I'm in San Clemente now but would make my way around most of So Cal for quality work.

Let me know what you got!

Thanks

-Zach

I've used q&e in anaheim with good luck. They too tend to miss deadlines.

There's also Sids Machine in Fullerton, although I'm not sure you could get him to work on something as common as a 4.0, its always worth asking.

Thanks Cal!

I've actually got in touch with Russ and am planning to drop everything off this weekend! Super stoked.

Talked for about an hour on the phone and Russ knows his stuff that's for sure. Really excited to have him do the work.

Still think this list is worth while for all of us in SoCal. Other than Russ I've had a very hard time finding many solid recommendations.

Thanks Cal!

I've actually got in touch with Russ and am planning to drop everything off this weekend! Super stoked.

Talked for about an hour on the phone and Russ knows his stuff that's for sure. Really excited to have him do the work.

Still think this list is worth while for all of us in SoCal. Other than Russ I've had a very hard time finding many solid recommendations.

What was the cost quoted from Russ?

When I had my head rebuilt I went to Valley Auto Parts and Engines in Sun Valley. I brought the head in and they did the whole rebuild/magnaflux/hot tank 9 yards on it for $165. I also had them extract the typical first/last broken manifold bolts for another $20. Cool old family-owned shop and really nice people.

I used car quest in upland for the last 15 years for all my machine work for my shop. Dozens of heads, several long blocks, and literally thousands of rotors.

Never had to take anything back. Currently still the same 2 guys doing all the work, although I expect one will retire in the next 5-10 years.

Back