• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 carriers

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks, this is probably a dumb question but I want to be sure of something before I buy. I have a Dana 44 from a full size Jeep, 30 spline shafts, 6 lug. A guy on Craigslist has a Dana 44 positraction carrier from a Scout.

It occurs to me that the Scout is probably a 19 spline Dana 44, but is this something I can take care of with a fresh 30 spline spider gear / clutch kit shoved into the Scout (posi) carrier?

Even more important is what gear ratio is the carrier!

The guy says it was 2.90 to 3.50 geared, somewhere in there. Carrier break is at 3.73 & numerically lower, so I think I'm good there (I have a 3.55 gear set I think I'm reusing. In any case won't go deeper than 3.73)

It occurs to me that the Scout is probably a 19 spline Dana 44, but is this something I can take care of with a fresh 30 spline spider gear / clutch kit shoved into the Scout (posi) carrier?

This is interesting as I was told I could do the same to upgrade my 27 spline 8.25 to 29 spline and I couldn't. I'd get him to put a caliper on the spider gear if he can and confirm that measurement against the 30 spline gear.

Out of curiousity, why bother spending effort swapping to a d44 when you're planning to stay with 3.55 gears? I would assume you are running smallish tires, so strength should not be an issue? Why not just go with stock XJ axles?

This is actually for my '57 chevrolet pickup; I'm swapping to a '44 to get positraction and step down the gear ratio a bit (it's got a 3.90 gear in it now). I just know NAXJA is a place where guys know Dana.
I sold my XJ to my brother in law a couple years ago when my son was born. I want to buy it back but one hobby car at a time and the truck isn't done.

Those old used posi's aren't going to be worth their weight in dead puppies.

Clutch based limited slips are good for about 15,000 to 30,000 miles and then mostly do nothing.

Find something new.

I'm planning to put clutches in the (used) carrier. I haven't bought parts yet. Any clutch materials you like better than others?

Back