• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project "Yellow Snow"

I do have a question, what are you using for front tow point(s)?? Strap around the bumper? ;)

it is top secret. Actually Collin was going to try and get some d-ring mounts that we could mount through the bumper to the frame horn mounts, but he was unable to source any on short notice, so we are using a set of Suburban tow hooks bolted through the unibody tie in plates and bolted through the frame and plated on the inside of the frame rail. They are not intrusive or gawdy looking and sit in nice and tight. Just a little work on lining up the holes and it is a good fit.

Ahh, I Suppose I should get some through JCR or AJ or someone b4 I get mine made....

Austin, I would suggest it. I dont have any thick stock like that and I really dont want to cut and drill something that heavy, it just takes that much more time. We burnt up a lot of time making the frame mounts/tie in plates. Even having a couple of the holes 1/16" off and having to bore them out slightly, it can really eat into the time involved to build. We fought the misalignment of the brackets and finally got them w/ in @ 1/16" of each other and called it good. I am going to pattern a set of premade units and then have them laser cut in batches for uniformity. The more of these we build the quicker we are getting at them. There is still a lot of labor involved due to my limited tools, but we get by and they work good. JR is tremendous help and good to have around, he does not stand still at all....go, go, go!

Sorry for the thread hijack Colon. :D

It makes sense, you gotta start from somewhere... We do the same thing at Max-Bilt....

Collin, I apologize as well, but must say, it is a damn fine looking bumper and make your rig look awesome!

Collin, I apologize as well, but must say, it is a damn fine looking bumper and make your rig look awesome!
Thanks Austin

Well crew, the bumper is now painted and the only thing left to do on the front is to ream out the tow hook bolt holes just a bit and get longer hardware for the steering box. Here are some pictures of the final product...

100_1224Medium.jpg

100_1226Medium.jpg

100_1225Medium.jpg

Let me know what you guys think, and thanks again for the great bumper Tyler!

Last edited:
SPIFFY!!!

I've always loved Yellow Jeeps and blacking it out like that makes it even better!

99SJ 'Thinking Burnt Orange for Mine' Ex

She's purty! Can't wait to see her wheeling at WF!

Were did you get the paint? i know you said it was implement? it looks awesome and im sick of the green on mine?

awesome build i love the look of this thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Were did you get the paint? i know you said it was implement? it looks awesome and im sick of the green on mine?

Thanks. The paint is actually implement paint under the brand name "Van Sickle". It is available at many farm stores in Iowa, Nebraska, and Missouri, but I'm not sure of availability otherwise. Here is their website...

http://www.vansicklepaint.com/

I bought a gallon of a color called "Transport Yellow" which I believe was used on heavier machinery such as CAT stuff. One of Tyler's friends shot it through his paint gun for me and it turned out great! Check em out, I definitely recommend the paint.

TSC sells implement paint by the pint or gallon. Thin 50/50 if you're going to spray it.

Holy ancient thread batman. I still have this thing. The yellow is a lot less yellow and all the pictures are gone thanks to Photobucket. It now has 250,010 miles. I'm going to try to update in chronological order.

2010-Wheeled at Winterfest, bent my track bar and UCA poked a hole in the oil pan. JB welded oil pan and wheeled some more. Shortly after Winterfest I decided it was cool to drive doorless, and completed the easy door removal mod. Along with this mod, the carpet was taken out as well as the majority of the remaining interior. It became my back up driver when I got my Suburban.
2011-Wheeled at Winterfest, no damage that I recall.
2012-Close calls sometimes lead to meeting good friends...
At Winterfest 2012 to the best of my recollection I went through the pond by the old entrance to the quarry. I got to the middle of it and hydrolocked the engine. Luckily Matt (OutkastBoss), Sam and Serena were driving by and saw me stuck in the pond. They pulled me out of the pond, but as I was exiting, my remote start module shorted out and engaged the starter motor non stop. The starter either caught on fire or was very close (I don't remember which) but Matt had a fire extinguisher and was able to put it out just in time. We got back to camp, luckily Kimmers had an extra starter that I was able to buy, we popped my spark plugs out, spun it over and shot all the water out. It fired back up and I wheeled on! In mid 2012 I raised the front to 8" using Chzmans old XJ's coil springs.
2013-Wheeled at Winterfest, no damage that I recall. I continued to drive around doorless in the Summer. I believe it was this year I finally replaced the oil pan that was still JB welded from 3 years prior.
2014-Added a stinger to the front bumper. Wheeled at Winterfest, on the last day of the event going over some kind of a rock obstacle heard a loud grind coming from the front end. Engaging 4x4 resulted in said noise.
2015-2016-Yellow sat at home sad and alone while I wheeled other rigs at Winterfest. Still continued to drive some during the Summer, but 4x4 was out of the question and I never made time to figure out what was wrong in the diff.

I'll be a bit more detailed for events in the last year...
Jan. 2017-Finally got off my keister, decided to go back to stock axles and sell the 4.88 D30 and D44. Installed D30 and C8.25 out of 96 XJ, also lowered from the near 8" I was at to an advertised 4.5", its still much taller than that, I would estimate almost 6". Got 32x11.50 KM2s.
March 2017-Wheeled WF 17, completed obstacle course, other than crunched fenders, no damage to report.
November 2017-I now have several vehicles that are my drivers but 2 of them get parked for the winter. I decided to make Yellow my winter beater. A friend and I had just done a partial part out on a 99 that had a decent interior. I had the headliner recovered, cleaned the trim up and installed in Yellow. Until this point most of the trim was missing and/or still the light grey. Got a working stereo for the first time in years, gave her a fresh oil change. Put a factory roof rack back on. Cut the stinger off the front bumper because I decided I prefer the flat front look.

Remainder of Nov 2017-Jan 2018-I posted in 2009 that the engine was questionable, I never swapped it :D. Two weeks ago, it finally gave up. It literally had 250,006 when this happened, heck of a coincidence. I heard a loud "pop", oil pressure dropped to 0 and I started hearing pieces hit the floor under my feet. I drove it for two miles like this because it was -20 here that day. I inspected when I got to my destination and found a hole by the oil filter adapter and a 4" long piece of camshaft sticking out the side. To this day, it still runs, I have no idea how, but it runs. I sold the 32" KM2s because how it sits they're a bit too small, I still need to be at 33"s or above. For the moment, it's sitting at around 6" of lift on 235s.

I still really enjoy this Jeep, after all these years. It has been a staple in my wife and I's relationship. Aside from the paint fading and the damage I've caused to the body, I would say it's cleaner than most Jeeps in the rust belt. It has very rarely broken down on me or disappointed me. It is a color that sticks out like a sore thumb but I have gotten many compliments on it over the years.

So now, it is waiting for an engine swap. My good friend Andy (et89xj) has an engine I'm hoping to buy that sounds like a good candidate.

Some things I'd like to do in the future...
Logan's or similar rear bumper
WJ Seats
Either JK wheels or matte black 15x10 alloys with 33" ish tires
Paint the remainder of the red to yellow...floor pans, underhood, etc.

Hopefully I will update this thread sooner than 7 years from now.

Last edited:
Great story but what about the awesome little green jeep you got? Haha. You really should buy that motor sooner then later and I may have a few WJs for parts but dont know condition of seats.

Andy(was et89xj)

I cant believe that motor ran that long, it was ticking the day we drug it home! Good update homey, your rig makes me laugh when I see how you flog it!

Great story but what about the awesome little green jeep you got? Haha. You really should buy that motor sooner then later and I may have a few WJs for parts but dont know condition of seats.

Andy(was et89xj)
I plan to make a thread for that today actually. I realized after it was too late to edit my thread that I referenced your old screen name :D

I cant believe that motor ran that long, it was ticking the day we drug it home! Good update homey, your rig makes me laugh when I see how you flog it!
Haha! It's amazing how long a 4.0 will last ticking or knocking. Everyone from the day I got it said "you better find an engine soon". I can't believe it will still start and move around while missing 1/4 of the camshaft. You're a big part of why this thing has lasted through the years Tyler, if it had never been painted Yellow I would've gotten sick of it I'm sure. Now it just has too much history and is too unique around here to get rid of it. There are XJs of every other color in my city but mine is the only one that's "Mustard Yellow"

I may have JK wheels and a Logan's rear bumper for sale for WF......
Hey Kevin I may not make it to WF this year as I'm starting a new job next month, or I may still try to make it for Saturday only. If you feel like it, pm or Facebook message me the deets on em though.

Last edited:
Back