• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best paint for rear leaf springs?

MCD

NAXJA Forum User
i have got my kit in!!yaaa i got the long aal and i want to paint all the leaf when i disasemble the leaf pack and i was wondering what kinda paint to use. i dont want to go crazy and coat them with teflon or anything like that. i was thinking maybe engine paint since it dries pretty hard and smooth.

Because of the amount of movement within the leaf packs any paint you slap on there is only going to last a short time. A good coating with some added benefits though is SlipPlate, used a lot in agriculture and available as a spray on or by the quart/gallon. It's designed as a dry lubricant plus coating, goes on really easy too.

I wouldn't waste a lot time/money painting leafsprings. They rub together so much, no paint is likely to last long.
d

Use epoxy paint and then get teflon liners to put in between them. Don't just use pads, get the teflon in a sheet and cut it to what you need for a full length application on each spring.

OneTonXJ said:
Use epoxy paint and then get teflon liners to put in between them. Don't just use pads, get the teflon in a sheet and cut it to what you need for a full length application on each spring.

where do you buy teflen in sheets?

Krylon only in the front ...

Les

I use epoxy paint that comes in a spray can. It's very tough, in fact you can't brush it off with a steel brush, and only with a wire wheel with considerable effort, the only real way to get it off is with a flap disc.

The whole idea with leaf springs is to minimize the friction, and good paint helps out.... nothing like cruddy, rusty leafs to give a stiffer ride. There are full length spring liners that are made of the same stuff as the plastic friction pads between the leaves. It really helps the performance of the springs to use this liner between every leaf, with a coat of real good paint. Nearly all spring shops carry this liner, or they can get it.

Goatman has several very good (and really helpful) posts concerning leaf springs. I'd really advise you to read them.

By the way, sorry about the kidding around in the earlier post ... whenever you need advice, the last thing you want is a smartazz. Even us old guys like to have a little fun sometimes .. ;)

I used Slip Paint (Graphite Based) on my springs. I also used .055" polyethylene strips as full length liners in between the leaves ; painted them as well with the Graphite Slip Paint. So far they work very well, but I've only had them done for a couple of weeks, so the jury is still out on them.

Les

Back