• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GearWrench 8 pc. Standard Ratcheting Combination Wrench Set 1/2 Price

Good deal.

Funny this came up... What do you folks think of gearwrench vs other brands?

My buddy recently picked up a Matco double box ratchet wrench set and they are pretty nice but pricey. I was thinking about picking up the same type of double box ratchet wrenches but from gearwrench (more specifically, this set).

Checking google got mixed results... some people said they love their gearwrench stuff while others had less positive reviews. Likewise, some people said that you can get these replaced under warranty at any Sears or Lowes while others mentioned that you can only get them replaced through the mail. Anyone got any input? Would you go with gearwrench or craftsman or some other brand?

I've had good luck with my Gearwrench branded sets, I've also been somewhat careful to not overtorque them. One other nice thing is that the heads are rather thin, but they only will apply torque in one direction. To reverse, you have to flip it over. The brands with a reversing ratchet seem to have a much thicker box end. Unless the price is outrageous, I'd probably buy Gearwrenches again.

Thanks, glad to hear they are pretty decent. I guess I'm just a little hesitant to buy that set now since A) idk how their return policy works and B) that product isn't even listed on the gearwrench website (the largest set they have listed is a 12 piece set). Not sure if the 17 piece set is discontinued or a 'discount' set of lower quality tools or something :dunno: Maybe I'm overthinking it.

I have complete sets of SAE and metric open-/ratchet-ended, probably about $300-400 worth (some of the big 1" wrenches are $30-40 each). They could be better but I love them as they are. The metal isn't as hard as Snap-On or some other high-end tools so a couple of the open ends have some damage from leaning on them with a pipe (shouldn't do that). Sometimes one of the ratchets will 'stick' and I have to put it on another nut or bolt to get it moving again, but that is my fault for over-torquing. I don't use any of my other wrenches anymore, except specialty stuff like the flare wrenches

back in 1997 I saw a demonstration of a Gearwrench 3/8 wrnech breaking the head off a grade 7 bolt (with a cheater bar I might add) and still functioning properly.

Been using them ever since. I never had one break on me on my Jeeps, my Harley or my Freightliner or peterbilt.

Not saying it won't happen, but for moderate hobby use like mine I'd recomend them to anyone.

Bunch of guys at work have them. I have a 17mm flexhead wrench that I use for a specific purpose and it's been fine going on 2 years now. One thing I will say - these things WILL break if abused over-zealously. No matter WHAT brand. Snap-On, MAC, Matco, GW, EZred, I've seen all of them fail (the ratcheting mechanism) under too much load. In every case, it was being used where a regular solid box wrench would have suited just fine. For what these wrenches are designed for, they work absolutely flawlessly and can be trusted without question.

I have about 5 different sets of GearWrenches.. and about 500lbs of standard wrenches that have all been thrown in a box that i dont use anymore.. wont ever go back! My local Napa had them on sale for $29.99 awhile back and i snagged a few sets that day.. Now they have them for $87.99 a set

I have a few sets of gearwrenches bought at napa for half price, they are ok. I have a set of Husky ratcheting wrenches that are better than gearwrench and craftsman I think are better than both of them. Gearwrench still works but they don't feel as solid to me and the finish doesn't feel as stout.

For half price they are a deal, at full price I would pass on them and spend more on craftsmans or even husky.

They are the best ratchet wrenches! I have had mine for 10 years and have never had a failure. My brother uses has professionally and would never consider another brand. I have put pipes on mine (not recommended) and not broken them!

I have a set of stubby gearwrench ratcheting wrenches. Also, have a set of craftsman reversible (thumbswitch) standard length. And recently purchased some of the newer tooth designed Craftsman ones that can be used on rounded/crappy bolts/nuts. I use them all.
And I have seen the matco ones. Similar to the new style craftsman's but reversible. Yes, they are a decent amount of $$, but worth it.

I have a metric set and my dad has an SAE set and we both love them. No problems with hobbyist work at home - can't say for sure that I've never put a pipe on them.

FWIW, I picked up a set of stubby ratcheting wrenches from HF for about $15 and they have held up quite nicely.

Back