• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SRB questions

sinat01

NAXJA Forum User
https://hdoffroadengineering.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/xj-shackle-relocation-kit

So I am wanting to do these on my 99
4.5" lift
cut & fold
33x10.50
DBmetalworks boomerang shackles

my question is how do you figure out where to set the shackle angle?
45* is preferred, but do you guesstimate it, drop it back on its own weight and make adjustments as necessary?
how do these do if you plan on pulling a camping trailer? any extra sway ect?
what will they do to the pinion angle?
any issues that are common with them?

https://tanisgoff.smugmug.com/Jeep/
here is how the jeep sits now, shackle angle is almost straight up nd down

Everything you spoke of is a compromise call !!! Trailer towing and a super flexy rig is a oxymoron!

im not really looking for extra flex, looking for a better ride. I was gonna do sliders but don't feel like dropping the money on them.
The good think is its a super light 4x8 aluminum trailer

That has to do more with springs/shocks. I started a week after buying my 2000, after about 3 lifts in a couple years, I've been running at 5.5" w/ Rubicon Express for 15yrs. I rides so much like a Cadillac I got spoiled, till I got my "new to me" 2000 w/ a 3" kit and it rides like a tank!

At that lift controls arms are part of the problem if your using stock mounting.

I have doestech shocks and iro leaf packs, but my shackle is straight up and down, which is what is causing the rough ride. the front is great and it is also iro springs and doestech shocks

Basically yes, eyeball it and adjust from there. It's a pretty dramatic change going from hole to hole. The u-bracket is bolted to the mount, so you can slide it a bit. I didn't worry about it that much and just kept it tight to the end of it's travel so that it couldn't slide if the bolt loosened.

Reducing the shackle angle reduces the spring rate. It's all a series of compromises.

They will raise the pinion as well as affecting the lower shock mounts.
Shims...

HD Offroad Engineering designed them to fit a stock shackle. For whatever reason, some aftermarket companies choose to make their shackles wider. Took a bit off the metal insert and all is well. The oem shackles fit in the u-bracket perfectly.

Secondly, I trimmed the u-bracket behind the hole being used so that the shackle wouldn't hit. It wasn't horrible and it may not affect all.

Yes just bolt it together, drop it on its weight, adjust as necessary.

It won't take more than one change.

well if they raise the pinion that will prolly work out due to the little bit of lift they add. and the boomerang shackles fit really well into the stock spot so hopefully they wont be much of an issue. the area where the shackles gave me issues was getting them on the springs. IROs leaf springs were a bit wide for whatever reason.
how much of a difference was there in ride quality and handling?

Back