• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do you think of living on the Western Slope?

smokeyyank

NAXJA Forum User
So the wife and I are heavily considering moving out of Denver. We both grew up here, love Colorado, but frankly are just sick of Denver. We've been debating on areas to move to and so far Grand Junction is our top spot. We have friends out there and visit a few times a year and always enjoy being there. We like the slower pace, less people and the ability to get away without having to fight traffic. As with anything though there's always the downside. I know the job market out there sucks. I'll be able to telecommute and keep doing what I do now, but it is in the back of mind how long I could feasibly do it. Our target areas are the Redlands or Fruita, mainly because of the schools there are better. Was just wondering some opinions from those that either live/d in the Western slope or have considered it.

Cheers

You just need to get out of the people-farm that is Highlands Ranch.

I'm 10 minutes from you and it's massively less stressful where I'm at. HR simply sucks in every way, shape and form. Its amazing how quickly I relax simply crossing north of C470 after venturing into that hell-hole......

You just need to get out of the people-farm that is Highlands Ranch.

I'm 10 minutes from you and it's massively less stressful where I'm at. HR simply sucks in every way, shape and form. Its amazing how quickly I relax simply crossing north of C470 after venturing into that hell-hole......

!!!1

I fought tooth and nail to not move here. I've always hated it, but the wife "thought" it would be plesant. Seriously is a bubble of hell over here.

Ideally we would like to back in Littleton or Centennial issue then becomes the cost to buy a new home. I personally cringe at the thought of spending almost 500k for a house. Maybe if I had land and shop, but some of these places are dumps people think gold is hidden in the walls. Yes, we'll get some equity but then it just goes right back to the new place. I even considered buying some land up 285 to build but we still come back to simple fact Denver has just become too crazy.

I like Northern CO a lot, still has its traffic issues but not nearly as bad a the ring of fire. That said, I've been wanting to move to the Grand Junction area for a long time. I was set to do so too until the ex-wife moved back from TX. Once my son was close enough for 50/50 custody again I wasn't about to move away.

I like Northern CO a lot, still has its traffic issues but not nearly as bad a the ring of fire. That said, I've been wanting to move to the Grand Junction area for a long time. I was set to do so too until the ex-wife moved back from TX. Once my son was close enough for 50/50 custody again I wasn't about to move away.

We've considered around your area, Miliken, Timnath, Loveland, etc. I loved being in Ft collins back in the CSU days. We still do worry about the urban creep getting up there though. I remember driving up to Ft Collins and it used to be nothing along I-25, now there's stuff everywhere.

... I remember driving up to Ft Collins and it used to be nothing along I-25, now there's stuff everywhere.

I may or may not remember shooting at road signs from a convertible along I-25 back in the day*.

This was long before I lost all of my firearms in a boating accident. :anon:

*It may have been just an elaborate dream.:eyes:

I may or may not remember shooting at road signs from a convertible along I-25 back in the day*.

This was long before I lost all of my firearms in a boating accident. :anon:

*It may have been just an elaborate dream.:eyes:

Haha, wasn't there someone not too long ago that was shooting out windows of cars up there.....?

Got something you wanna tell the group?!

Milliken is growing, I'm sure it won't be too long now before they install a second traffic light.

Milliken is growing, I'm sure it won't be too long now before they install a second traffic light.

Years ago monument used to be like that. I liked it then. Now it's almost part of the springs. I still like the springs area, but I'm over all the people here. Every day I drive I feel like I'm cheating death. We keep debating leaving but stay for same reason: work. I could find something but if it's not a great place there's not a lot of other choices depending where you go.

Milliken is too far off of I-25 to get as bad as Castle Rock. Johnstown on the other hand is and its growing fast. Windsor and Greeley are too. Pretty soon all of HWY-34 will be city with Milliken being more of a suburb to the greater Greeley, Windsor, Johnstown, Loveland metroplex.

Once my son graduates HS I'll be looking to move back to Montana or at least northwest WY. Really get away from all of these people.

We keep debating leaving but stay for same reason: work. I could find something but if it's not a great place there's not a lot of other choices depending where you go.

This is a hang up we have. I'm in healthcare and even though I can telecommute if I need to find something else for whatever reason its slim pickings in GJ. Even though its one of the biggest industry out there just not a lot of decent paying opportunities.

West slope is horrible. Stay away. Keep my prices low. And town small. Stay there. The easy living and great access to everything is completely miserable.

West slope is horrible. Stay away. Keep my prices low. And town small. Stay there. The easy living and great access to everything is completely miserable.

Ha ha, yeah sounds waaayyy overrated.

Honestly the best move I’ve made. Appreciate Colorado again living here. Hate going to front range for work. Can’t wait to be west slope only.

Honestly the best move I’ve made. Appreciate Colorado again living here. Hate going to front range for work. Can’t wait to be west slope only.

That's a lot of what we are thinking. Love to get out and go camping, hiking, etc, but it's always a battle getting out of town. Makes any of the "Colorado" things a pain in the ass to do. Last time in GJ my buddy and I drove for maybe 15 minutes out to BLM land to go target shoot. I can't even get to an indoor range in 15 minutes.

If you don't mind me asking what do you do for work?

I’m in oil/gas. I just stay in front range as money is better.

Gotcha. Bet that's one hell of a treck. That's definitely one thing I've noticed is pay in the area is lower.

Yeah. I could work out of the junction yard but not nearly as many hours. I’ll suck up the couple hour drive every 3 weeks. It’s worth it, for now. The cost of living is drastically lower in the area as well. Generally living is a lot more comfortable.

Back