• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Monthly Trail Runs

Right now, everything is on the table.

I think we started alternating weekend days so BOD members who had to work Saturday could make a Sunday event. That seems to have worked out for the members as well.

Anything happening with this?
Neglected, not forgotten, I have been crazy-busy with life, and replacing parts on the Jeep.

I need help with fleshing out this list:
When are these trails open?
Is there a recommendation for minimum tire size/lift/traction aids?
What are the amenities in the area?

North run:

Kelly flats-

Middle St Vrain-

Bunce School Road-

Rock Creek-

Central:

Cascade/Saxon Adopt-a-Road-

Spring Creek-

Switzerland Trail-

Webster Pass/Red Cone-

Bill Moore Lake-

Greenridge-

blm trails by kremmeling:

Trough-

Sidewinder-

Leadville:

Mosquito pass -

Halfmoon gulch-

Mt. Elbert-

Birdseye Gulch-

Mt Zion-

Southern:

Holy Cross-

Iron Chest-

Eagle Rock-

"The Gulches"-

I'll try to do some research on the trails up North. Should be beneficial since I haven't been to any of the North trails listed.

Neglected, not forgotten, I have been crazy-busy with life, and replacing parts on the Jeep.

I need help with fleshing out this list:

When are these trails open?

Is there a recommendation for minimum tire size/lift/traction aids?

What are the amenities in the area?"-

Eagle Rock

Open all year (forested, so generally a snow/ice fest during winter months)

Could probably squeak your way through the trail on 31’s/32’s and open/open. The 2 hill climb sections are the most difficult parts of the trail. There is a bypass on the first hill climb section. Rest is pretty manageable. Can wander multiple roads through forested areas once the top of the trail is reached.

Closest fuel and food etc 30-45 mins away in Colorado Springs. Most groups meet at Home Depot parking lot near the Broadmoor Hotel.

West:
Chinamens.
Grizzly lake.
Black bear
Imogene
Poughkeepsie.
Alpine loop.
And in a few weeks. Moab.

The only difficult trails around Leadville are Mt Elbert and Holy Cross. (Not sure how Holy Cross ended up on the South list?) Have not yet run Holy Cross but from what I have heard at least one locker and 33's with skid plates would be recommended.

I ran Iron Chest last summer and the first quarter mile was pretty rough. I made it with 33s and a rear locker but came down on a few rocks. Just got back from Chinamans gultch and the trail is getting rougher than it was last year. Made it through but was banging rockers and the rear bumper on rocks every few minutes.

The other trails around leadville could be run with a XJ with 31's and open with careful driving or less careful driving and not caring about body damage. Trails in the Leadville area will probably be another 2 months before they are open due to snow at high elevation. Lots of amenities up here.

(Not sure how Holy Cross ended up on the South list?)
Because I'm a dumbass who does not get out enough.

Lots of amenities up here.
I don't have computer time at the new job. That is part of the reason I'm asking for help with researching this stuff.

I do appreciate everyone's input!

Some: I'm pulling info off an archived version of the old Trail Damage (that site is a little finicky) and copying into a Word Doc, playing with the formatting.

We'll see how this looks...

Kelly Flats, Rating:3-8
Larimer County, Colorado
Roosevelt National Forest
Canyon Lakes Ranger District
Forest Service Roads: 168, 168C
Nearby Towns: Fort Collins
Nearby Trails: Sevenmile Creek, Bald Mountain, Pingree Park, Manhattan Road, Deadman Road
Trail Length: 10.5 miles
Elevation: 6,750 to 8,655 feet
Named Obstacles: Heart Attack Hill, Aneurysm Hill, The Chutes
Driving Directions
From Ft. Collins, take Highway 287 around LaPorte. Take Highway 14 left at Ted's Place and go about 25 more miles until you see a sign for the Kelly Flats campground on the left. There is a large parking area immediately to your right where you can air down. The trail starts right away from there.

I'll probably link to the respective Ranger Districts' MVUM.

My xj should be on trail no later than labor day possibly 4th of July... will trailer out for spring creek , chinamans ...or harder ...lol... the little guy was going to be used for the easy stuff , but it's milk carton status now ...lol

Did I get someone’s panties in a wad? I mean it’s only the 5th month of the year, jack squat has been accomplished, in regards to anything. You’re looking at bailing on cofest. And despite all the ‘compilation of information’ and time wasted, nothing has been set up or organized for monthly trail runs. It’s almost as if what I said was accurate. That all the ‘effort’ is a waste of time. Just pick a date and a place.

Did I get someone’s panties in a wad? I mean it’s only the 5th month of the year, jack squat has been accomplished, in regards to anything. You’re looking at bailing on cofest. And despite all the ‘compilation of information’ and time wasted, nothing has been set up or organized for monthly trail runs. It’s almost as if what I said was accurate. That all the ‘effort’ is a waste of time. Just pick a date and a place.

I deleted it because of profanity.

Why plan things out if nobody is going to show up anyways? If people want to make a trail run happen or even COFest happen then post up an make it happen. Don't expect a few people on the BOD to plan things out only to have dates, location, etc complained about and then nobody actually show up. Your trip at the end of July is a perfect example, you set the parameters and put it on the forum. Either people will join or they won't.

Me personally, I've got my own priorities and planning a bunch of trips for other people isn't one of them.

Back