• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

I use a little Chief electric smoker. Definitely get the finest chips you can buy.

My procedure:

!. Season ribs with choice of seasoning or rub. A rub has sugar in it, and according to legend forms a crust and seals in moisture. Basic seasoning mix: 1/2 Lawry's Seasoning salt, 1/4 smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder to taste. Add white or brown sugar if you want a rub. Fire up smoker while seasoning ribs.

2. With my little POS smoker, I like at least 4 hours smoking.

3. This step is key. Put ribs in a baking pan, add ~1 cup of water, cover, and bake for about two hours at ~ 300 F.

4. Throw on grill, on the upper shelf, not the bottom, smother with sauce of your choice, I like Famous Dave's, and broil for about 45-60 minutes, while basting with sauce.

This is my technique after years of messing around. I'm a chef, but short order, fine dining, and institutional don't use many smokers. :)

The Colorado BS thread

I use a little Chief electric smoker. Definitely get the finest chips you can buy.

My procedure:

!. Season ribs with choice of seasoning or rub. A rub has sugar in it, and according to legend forms a crust and seals in moisture. Basic seasoning mix: 1/2 Lawry's Seasoning salt, 1/4 smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder to taste. Add white or brown sugar if you want a rub. Fire up smoker while seasoning ribs.

3. This step is key. Put ribs in a baking pan, add ~1 cup of water, cover, and bake for about two hours at ~ 300 F.

4. Throw on grill, on the upper shelf, not the bottom, smother with sauce of your choice, I like Famous Dave's, and broil for about 45-60 minutes, while basting with sauce.

This is my technique after years of messing around. I'm a chef, but short order, fine dining, and institutional don't use many smokers. :)

That sounds amazing! I surely take your word for the ribs.

The Colorado BS thread

de3b984b0becbd7b88b630f40eb87ccb.jpg

178e787f8fb60958e6a39ed338b2a70c.jpg

RIBS! not quite as tender as I hoped, but flavor was amazing.

Used small amount of mesquite and hickory chips, then apple and cherry.

Run sat all night on them wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge. 2-2-1 method for the first smoke.

Pretty delish!

Nice! Honestly I never can tell the difference between wood. Mesquite and done. One of my favorites is to buy the cheap salmon at the store and smoke it. Comes out awesome. Smoking makes pretty much anything great.

Spent some Jeep funds on new 35s for the Dodge , which only last 12 months b4 bald and are a yearly expense now . So minus $1100 for tires I need to wait a couple weeks to buy my struts , but I'm definitely pulling trigger this month on a full set. I think I will get the dual fill kit as well and strip my axle of the current truss leaving only the ram mount and burn on a new Artec full width truss as my new base since I really like the fit of their 14 stuff . I'M hoping to put no more than 8k into the rig this round of polishing . I am ok now with the dinky 42s but am considering selling and moving up to a true sticky like a 43sx or maxxis trep 42 . Also going to cut the header a bit to allow a drop in lift again . I'M still debating on struts length of 14/16 or 16/16 ...any reason not to go 16 travel ?

Last edited:

Well driving home last night from Gunnison, turn by poncha springs heading towards buenie and get a loud squeaking like a blower motor bearing. It quits and then trans starts to barely slip. Managed to limp it all the way to the springs but it was slipping bad by the time I got home. So I guess I'll add that to my list now. It did do pretty well tho for having 290k on it.

Well I heard that there is a new Jeep rock crawling event volunteer photographer in your back yard. No Idea who she is LOL.:D

http://www.mcginnessphotography.com/volunteered-events.html

But I hear she owns a jeep.

My procedure:

I guess she needs to update that LOL. Thanks

She Moved to Co. Springs in Jan, and she is an Art Student in Denver. Official even photographer for Spartan races, and yes she is a bad ass, racer too LOL. Also an official event photographer for large Rodeo events. She gets around. Travels to do events, between semesters.

Website says she's based in Auburn Hills Michigan............our back yard?

Last edited:

It's time to spend money and I'm right back where I was before...lol...undecided on Kings or ORI and my front suspension ...beef up the Radius arms to use big joints on the uppers to match lowers and just make new longer arms for the front stretch ...or ditch the track bar and build a triangulate 4 link...3 link just does not look worth the time over a radius arm it offers nothing for crawling and does not offer anymore redundancy over a radius arm for holding my axle in place ...choices

That's Life, full of really hard choices :eek:, LOL.

It's time to spend money and I'm right back where I was before...lol...undecided on Kings or ORI and my front suspension ...beef up the Radius arms to use big joints on the uppers to match lowers and just make new longer arms for the front stretch ...or ditch the track bar and build a triangulate 4 link...3 link just does not look worth the time over a radius arm it offers nothing for crawling and does not offer anymore redundancy over a radius arm for holding my axle in place ...choices

The Colorado BS thread

359f8862db046685e1cf0796ce3de3cd.jpg

Brakes done and shaft pulled. Gotta get a new seal on it tomorrow, dang thing is leaking all over. Found some “not so tight,” nuts on it while pulling it though, that was concerning.

Back