• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

yeah that's exactly why I'd be worried... and isn't the crank adapter gonna be CR steel?

Why not just wait the 6 weeks for seats?
I'm sure your not going to be ready to go by then anyway....

Seat width is going to affect how much I can narrow the body, clock the t-case up, and also set how aggressive I can be on the boatside cut.

Seat height is going to affect how high I need to make the roof.

Seat depth is going to set where I can cut the rear half of the frame off, as it needs to be continuous to the rearmost part of the seats.

Seat mounting is going to dictate the route I take for the floor/subframe design.

Will I need to know all of those things in the next 6 weeks? Maybe, maybe not...but I don't wanna be guessing when my alternative is having a set of very decent and nearly dimensionally equivalent seats in my garage by next Tuesday.

My whole thing with this build is taking an integrated approach to the whole vehicle rather than piecemeal like I built the XJ. I'll probably spend an equal amount of time sitting and staring at things as I will actually building them...and part of that is doing my best to not let a decision made about some component - be it seat placement, t-case clocking, etc - negatively impact something else later because I didn't have all the information I needed at the time.

If I was going to buy seats again, I'd get Twisted Stitch ones like mine. Beard has the customer service of a dried piece of dog dung.

I thought that until I sat in them side-by-side at Tim's shop. He sells both and the XP's blow them away...it's a far better seat for what's actually equivalent cost.

I'm sure whatever you put together will be strong enough - the only thing I would worry about is balancing it. I guess you can just assume it's balanced, but...

No reason why I couldn't just get it balanced after the fact...the guy at my local engine shop could probably do it for me on his lunch break.

how bad could that get though? its a solid chunk of aluminum, which isn't that heavy to begin with, and its not like its some huge diameter piece. thought the last thing you'd want is something badly out of balance bolted to your crank at 8k rpms..

5" OD, and overall weight will be between 5-6 lbs. The Jeep flywheel is like 30 lbs and ~14" diameter.

yeah that's exactly why I'd be worried... and isn't the crank adapter gonna be CR steel?

HR because I'm not worried about the surface finish, but yes.

guy wants to paypal me a grand tonight and have his buddy pick up the tires tomorrow. he says his buddy is going out to sea and thats the only time he can do it.

ill be able to see the grand in my paypal account. but shit wont be in my bank for 3-4 business days.

what do i do?

why the hell can't he paypal his bud who is picking the tires up again?

I'd be less excited about adding more rotating mass to the crank on a high rpm motor.

But I don't know enough about how that all works to know if it would be a big deal or not.

I'd be less excited about adding more rotating mass to the crank on a high rpm motor.

But I don't know enough about how that all works to know if it would be a big deal or not.

its not far out enough to worry about... larger diameter, yea it would do something. 5" OD isnt big enough to make a difference.

guy wants to paypal me a grand tonight and have his buddy pick up the tires tomorrow. he says his buddy is going out to sea and thats the only time he can do it.

ill be able to see the grand in my paypal account. but shit wont be in my bank for 3-4 business days.

what do i do?

Tell his gay ass friend to bring a grand. He should have paypal'd his friend three days ago so he'd have cash to give. The whole "limited time offer" shit always flags bullshit. Tell him to go suck a dick three times and stick his head in a dirty toilet.

its not far out enough to worry about... larger diameter, yea it would do something. 5" OD isnt big enough to make a difference.

The XXXX does this matter. The bolts aren't going to be throwing it off, the piece isn't going to be out of round. If the engine is externally balanced the flywheel/harmonic balancer will be balanced to the engine, not his dumb adapter. It's not balanced like a driveshaft. It's a counter balance to the crank.

You monkey dicks.

The XXXX does this matter. The bolts aren't going to be throwing it off, the piece isn't going to be out of round. If the engine is externally balanced the flywheel/harmonic balancer will be balanced to the engine, not his dumb adapter. It's not balanced like a driveshaft. It's a counter balance to the crank.
I was getting all worried that someone killed Carmelo and replaced him

You monkey dicks.
nevermind

i'd do it sam. paypal pulls the money from HIS account and holds it. his bank wont hold it up, so thats not a worry. the transaction will fail immediately if the bank flags it. i've been getting my paypal funds in less than 24 hours the past few times i've transferred them over, but thats not just paypal, thats your bank too, so YMMV.

take precautions? type out a transaction agreement, get the dudes plate number.

You monkey dicks.

It has nothing to do with balance dumbass.

It has to do with rotating mass. Lighter rotating mass = easier to increase/drop/control revs. Heavier rotating mass = harder to rev but carries it further.

Why do you think people with smaller engines occasionally use heavier flywheels to get more low end torque (in the offroad world)? Or why people would buy lighter flywheels in the first place?

Go eat some giraffe scrotum.

It has to do with rotating mass.

Why do you think people with smaller engines occasionally use heavier flywheels to get more low end torque?

he's going to need a stepladder

OMG OMG OMG CHRIS IS SO CRAZY THATS NEVER GONNA WORK

supratransplate2.jpg

ecotec-crankshaft-adapter_4.jpg

It has to do with rotating mass. Lighter rotating mass = easier to increase/drop/control revs. Heavier rotating mass = harder to rev but carries it further.

Why do you think people with smaller engines occasionally use heavier flywheels to get more low end torque (in the offroad world)? Or why people would buy lighter flywheels in the first place?

The XXXX!? Even still, XXXXing tiny ass adapter. You dumb!?

any of the weight can be countered with a lightweight flywheel, which i dont think is even necessary. the potential loss of momentum wouldn't be ideal uphills gaining speed, not to mention the hell that engaging a clutch with a lightweight flywheel can bring.

Why do you think I said I don't know enough about how it works to know if 5-6 lbs at the center of the crank is enough to be enough of an issue or not?

THEN WHY'D YOU EVEN SAY IT STUPIDMUNCH

Back