NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Tow Rigs and Trailers
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Tow Rigs and Trailers Hey, not all of our Jeeps are great on the highway. Post here for tech related to getting your XJ to the trailhead.

Old March 20th, 2012, 09:11
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins VS. 2nd Gen Gasser

If this tells you anything.. These are the first results for these trucks.

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/2909018757.html

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/2907955412.html

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/2903203071.html
Old March 20th, 2012, 17:26
NAXJA Forum User

All I will say is once you have towed with a diesel you will never have another gas vehicle again if you tow allot. There is a simple reason why all those trucks you see hauling things are diesel. As far as that year its a good year. One HUGE problem I see with this truck and what he has done to it is the fact that he removed the fuel plate, though removing the fuel plate in itself is not bad which is what I have done to mine, the transmission is either shot already or going to be real soon. Anyone telling you otherwise has not done there research or had a truck like that with those mods. Good mods for power but its kinda putting the horse before the cart. First thing he should have done which you will need is a good set of gauges for EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Pres, and Boost. Then you will want Exhaust and Intake and then the AFC mods. Governor springs, timing and other things can be done after that. As far as price, in my area that would be an OK price but not what I would spend for it. I paid 8k for mine, its a 96 5spd 4x4 club cab with all options and 217K miles on it when I bought it. My dad just bought his 01 Auto 4x4 club cab with all options including intake and exhaust with 157K miles on it in sweet shape for 9K. Bottom line shop for a truck, try to find a stock one is my best advice, and if you lucky like me you will find a one owner truck with all maintenance records. Took me almost 6 months to find one. Sorry for the long winded comment.

Also a quick comment. With that many miles plan on replacing stock parts very very soon such as ALL U-joints even in your front axles. Ball joints, Steering tie rods and trackbar, Steering gear box and Unit Bearings. About 1 1/2k worth of parts easily if you do the work yourself and dont buy cheap crappy parts but stock or better.

Last edited by FiveNdime; March 20th, 2012 at 17:29.
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:46
NAXJA Forum User

Did you buy it? Says no longer for sale.

I'd go diesel! Just stay out of the new stuff. I just got rid of my 07 5.9 cummins and in my opinion the common rails are crap. It was the least reliable of any diesel i have owned. Oh and injectors are $600 each to.

I've had 2 24 valves a 99 and 98.5, one auto one 5 speed. Both were good trucks but in both the transmissions are the weak link. If you do a manual trans truck I'd look for a 6 speed 2nd gen the NV5600 is a much better trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:00
NAXJA Forum User

Nothing wrong with NV4500s.

150k on mine. Only thing that happened was the rear output/5th gear housing cracked from me being an idiot (1st gear wheel hopping with a trailer and blew up the trans mount).

I think the whole 5th gear backing off thing is overhyped for STOCK trucks.
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:12
Curmudgeon

Actually, the 5th gear nut is a problem for earlier NV4500s, but only in the diesels, I think. And usually backs off due to vibrations while lugging the engine. By '98 or '99, I think that NV/NP had the fix figured out.

I'd love a 6spd in mine, if my 5spd in my 99 24v ever craps out, I'll have to really think about putting in a rebuilt 6spd instead. Yes, I know it'll cost me a couple of drive shafts, and I've already got the 12" clutch (SB conOFE.)

"Jeeps are Cherokees. All other models are wannabes." Deb. K.
Old March 26th, 2012, 19:44
NAXJA Forum User

No, they would only give me trade in at the bank. He decided to keep it after I said I couldn't buy it.
Old March 27th, 2012, 05:43
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparManiac View Post
If you want reliability/low cost, keep the thing stock.

My '01 CTD has plenty of balls to pull my 7k trailer (~2200 lb) and probably 5k lb + MJ without a problem.

And it's rated at 235 hp and 460 lb ft of torque. Which is pretty mild compared to newer diesels and even gassers.
It doesn't need to be totally stock to be as reliable as an anvil... a basic intake and exhaust and a quality mild (read: towing) chip isn't going to increase power enough to risk anything. Anything that adds more fuel (chip) I'd have a EGT gauge installed, and keep those temps under 1400*, ideally under 1200*.
Old March 28th, 2012, 08:26
NAXJA Forum User

I wouldn't have picked that truck up if I were you. To many things I wasn't impressed with. If your serious about one keep looking and go check them out often so you can keep fresh and on top of how much there worth and in what condition.

They can build and handle reliable HP. These trucks are very detuned from factory. Also the manual transmissions in 5 spd are just fine. Weak point is the output shaft but they still aren't that weak. Mine has the 6spd flywheel and clutch in it as an upgrade.
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:28
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveNdime View Post
I wouldn't have picked that truck up if I were you. To many things I wasn't impressed with. If your serious about one keep looking and go check them out often so you can keep fresh and on top of how much there worth and in what condition.

They can build and handle reliable HP. These trucks are very detuned from factory. Also the manual transmissions in 5 spd are just fine. Weak point is the output shaft but they still aren't that weak. Mine has the 6spd flywheel and clutch in it as an upgrade.

What weren't you impressed with?
Old March 28th, 2012, 16:21
NAXJA Member

The NV4500 is a much better platform IMO, With New process gone, The nv5600 was not a super popular Transmission, As where the NV4500 was.. SO with that said, Parts for the nv5600 are starting to get scarce..

The 5th gear issue is not a big deal IMO, the new style Lock ring/bolt fixes it..
Old March 29th, 2012, 13:39
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanxj5050 View Post
What weren't you impressed with?
Did you read my 1st post?
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveNdime View Post
Did you read my 1st post?
Yes. Your post seemed like you were talking about the trucks as aa whole. Not that one in particular.
Old March 31st, 2012, 21:36
NAXJA Forum User

My BONE stock 99 with the NV4500 spit the nut at under 100k, fixed with the "updated locking" nut. At 130k or so did it again, also ended up with a hairline crack (not failure) in the gear. Fixed again with the better "updated" nut. Started having issues again 40k or so later. Put in a reman from a very reputable company it broke a gear 50k or so later, they warrantied it. I gave up in another 40k when it started to have an issue.

I always ran the correct fluid, changed fluid, kept truck stock, and simply drove it. Never hot rodded it. It towed 50% of the time loads weighed from 3500-9000 or so pounds.

As for the NV5600 I agree they are getting more scarce and parts are getting more expensive but it is a much stouter trans. You could also build a bullet proof auto for 4-5k too....