• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flingshot's Adventure Comanche

flingshot

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I would start a build thread here and I would love input from all of you as I go along. I am no stranger to building/restoring cars and that sometimes gets me in trouble as I have seen complete basket cases become show winning street rods. I tend to see automobiles and say to myself "I can fix that".

It would be much easier to start with something a little nicer but what fun would that be, right?

The budget for this build will be $8000, including some of the onboard equipment I plan to buy. That being said, I will need to buy a lot of my parts used and look for deals throughout my build.
Completion time is 1 year from today.

I will be driving and wheeling/camping in this vehicle during most of the build so I need to plan each project (with exeption of body and paint work) so that I will be road worthy the next morning. Your prayers are appreciated.

The purpose:

I would like to say I was heading to Baja or South America but most likely this rig will be used exploring the Rockies and some of the SW united States. We'll see what happens after the kids are grown. I have 3 daughters and the youngest is 9, She thinks MJ stands for "Man Jeep".

The Inspiration: Ooh Baby!

PicasaSync.jpg

The foundation:

1987 Jeep Comanche 4x4, 4.0, disco d30, d35 in the rear, AX-15 (I think), no a/c, bastard lift netting around 2'', manual windows and locks, dents on all four corners but it runs great. I would not hesitate to jump in and drive to the coast right now. Here it is 2 weeks ago when I brought it home.

PicasaSync.jpg

The plans:

Body:
97+ front clip and doors
Line-x the bed
KJ Renegade light bar
Painted back to Colorado Red with Charcoal or Black flares and rockers

Drive train:
Keeping current motor until I see a need to change it
Adding a/c, this is the only part I am nervous about but I think I can pull it off
Replace with non disco d30, 4:10, arb locker
New 8.25 rear, 4:10, arb locker

Suspension
Mild short arm 3-3.5" lift probably assembled from parts
New rear springs that can deal with the camper shell a bit better

Wheels and tires
Rubicons with 245/75/16Installed currently but I will probably try to find at least 2 new wheels without rash and definately new tires.

Interior
Lots of map lighting
Single din Nav unit with DVD player and satellite radio
Handheld GPS and a Spot connect for redundancy
CB, maybe HAM unit (not currently licensed but interested)
Swapping the tan for gray, 97 manual door panels and gray tweed for the upholstery. Like this
Picture%252520143.jpg

Armor
Factory Gas tank skid (hard to find from what I hear), t-case skid, sliders, probably some sort of rocker sheet metal protection

Bumpers
I'm partial to the ARB front bumper for this truck, looking for a used one.
Homemade rear bumper with 2 swingouts, (one for the tire and one for gas and jack most likely)

Recovery
Winch up front.
D-rings and receiver hitch out back.

Adventure Accessories;
Wildernest Camper or Flippac Camper
Dual batteries
Fridge on a slideout.
Field kitchen
Storage bins and drawers for gear and spares
Onboard air
Onboard water heater and tank
Some sort of awning attached to the shell

I'll update this post with the tally every month or so:

Dollars spent as of July 7, 2011

1987 MJ, $1000.00
Tailgate, $100.00
Tail light, $14.00
Vacuum canister, $5.00
Wildernest Camper $450.00
Aluminum and Hardware $32.00

Total to date $1601.00

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Flingshot's Adventure Commanche

More pics from the day I brought it home.

PicasaSync.jpg

PicasaSync.jpg

PicasaSync.jpg

Took it camping the first weekend with tailgate area bodywork done, tailgate installed and taillight installed.

1000000007.JPG

1000000008.JPG

Pics from July 06, 2011. With new to me Wildernest Camper!!

1000000073.JPG

Just loaded

1000000074.JPG

Like a glove.

1000000080.JPG

1000000081.JPG

1000000082.JPG

1000000083.JPG

1000000085.JPG

Too bad the pics aren't scratch and sniff, eh? :puke:

1000000088.JPG

I'm digging the Yakima bars, I was going to put those on anyway so it saved me some money. Gotta go get keys for the towers though.

Gotta get off the computer so I can go scrub a tent. More later.

Do I spy a '72-74 cuda on the garage...?

Hard to tell from the pic.

LOL! A Mopar guy can't tell a 'Cuda from a Corvair........ :roflmao:

Do I spy a '72

-74 cuda on the garage...?

Hard to tell from the pic.

Yella's right. It's a 65 Corvair Corsa Turbo Convertable.
The wife's actual first car.
I have more in that car than I'll ever be able to get out of it but we won't be selling it so I guess that's ok.
I am going to finish it over the winter. As you can see it's pretty close.
After that, it's Chevelle time.
But hey hey hey, let's not forget about the MJ!

Subscribed. This should be a great build. Good luck and I'm looking forward to the end result!!

But hey hey hey, let's not forget about the MJ!

Just don't call it a Commanche again. You can't own an MJ if you can't spell Comanche. :laugh3:

That Corvair brings back memories. My first car in high school was a 65 Corvair Monza.

Just don't call it a Commanche again. You can't own an MJ if you can't spell Comanche. :laugh3:

That Corvair brings back memories. My first car in high school was a 65 Corvair Monza.

I do know how to spell, just got excited typing I guess. I went back to change it but you can't edit after 45 minutes for some reason.
Maybe a nice moderator will fix it for me so I don't look like a tard.

As far as high school Corvair memories, I have a few too in this very car.
Don't tell her dad.

With all that rain I bet it is pretty bad.......:wow:

Actually it's clean as a whistle now. I can't believe the difference after 8 hours of lightly scrubbing and wiping.
It still has a few stains where the cables and poles rub on the fabric but it's nothing like it was.
Got a new mattress and I'm off to camp in it this weekend in about 3 hours.
Woohoo!

Back