• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame stiffeners ~ Can anyone recommend a shop?

victorfranko

NAXJA Forum User
Happy Friday!

I've come to the conclusion from reading here and other forums that I really should add frame stiffeners to my project XJ.
I'm a machinist, not a fabricator/welder.

Is there a shop any of you have used, in the North Los Angeles area (I'm actually in Ventura County) to weld these stiffeners up?

Am I best to fit everything and call in a mobile welder?
I'm not excited about the stiffeners being fit by me with no experience and welded up by a guy that never did anything like this before.

Am I over-thinking this and making the job seem more involved than it is?

Any advice from the vast wealth of experience here on NAXJA would be greatly appreciated!

VF

In my opinion, you might be over thinking it a bit.

As you can see at the thread below "calico night run" last page of thread...any idiot can do it...I mean tim figured it out, so how hard can it be?

Seriously though, the easiest course of action is to order the stiffeners from someplace like ruffstuff, follow the steps people have done on here, and beg/borrow/steal a welder (and someone who can run a bead). I would offer my abilities, but it's a hundred mile drive.

Hopefully someone closer will pop up and volunteer.

In my opinion, you might be over thinking it a bit.

As you can see at the thread below "calico night run" last page of thread...any idiot can do it...I mean tim figured it out, so how hard can it be?

Seriously though, the easiest course of action is to order the stiffeners from someplace like ruffstuff, follow the steps people have done on here, and beg/borrow/steal a welder (and someone who can run a bead). I would offer my abilities, but it's a hundred mile drive.

Hopefully someone closer will pop up and volunteer.

Yeah, I know I'm worrying more than I need. It's just that I don't weld.
I live in horse country, and I found a horse trailer repair guy/welder just now, going to see him tomorrow morning and see if it's something he wants to do.

Thanks for replying and for offering to help (if you lived closer), very much appreciated!!!

Oh, and I guess if Tim can do it, I can figure it out, lol.

VF

Last edited:
My XJ is at Leadfoot Off-road right now getting a cage and frame stiffeners installed. Once it's done I can post pictures or let you check it out in person. They are in La Verne which would be quite a drive for you, but it might be a good option.

My XJ is at Leadfoot Off-road right now getting a cage and frame stiffeners installed. Once it's done I can post pictures or let you check it out in person. They are in La Verne which would be quite a drive for you, but it might be a good option.

Thanks Peter.
I'll call them Monday to check out prices and time they'd need my XJ.
What brand stiffeners are they installing?
Are they installing mid and front?
Pics would be most welcome when you get it back!

Thanks Peter.
I'll call them Monday to check out prices and time they'd need my XJ.
What brand stiffeners are they installing?
Are they installing mid and front?
Pics would be most welcome when you get it back!

They make their own stiffners and I am having mid and front installed. Mine is sort of a custom install since I have drop bracket braces and already had some reinforcement at the very front of the frame for the bumper. They are also tying together the roll cage mounts to the frame and the rock rail mounts to the frame stiffners.

They make their own stiffners and I am having mid and front installed. Mine is sort of a custom install since I have drop bracket braces and already had some reinforcement at the very front of the frame for the bumper. They are also tying together the roll cage mounts to the frame and the rock rail mounts to the frame stiffners.

Leadfoot did my hybrid cage and sliders. Clean job. You will be happy with their product. A bit pricey, but they'll do exactly what you need and want.

David Bricker / SYR

I'm in Ventura and have Ruffstuff stiffeners on my 97. It's a work in progress, but your welcome to come take a look at it and see what your up against in person.

Honestly it's not that hard, just labor intensive. The hardest part is getting the factory under coating/paint/primer/galvanizing off. After that, they fit up pretty good.

I'm in Ventura and have Ruffstuff stiffeners on my 97. It's a work in progress, but your welcome to come take a look at it and see what your up against in person.

Honestly it's not that hard, just labor intensive. The hardest part is getting the factory under coating/paint/primer/galvanizing off. After that, they fit up pretty good.

Thank you, I've watched videos and looked at a thousand pictures so I've got a good idea what is going on, it's just the welding that makes me leery.
I'd prefer someone to weld them up for me that has done it before.
I talked to the guys at Leadfoot (nice guy I talked to, pricing wasn't bad) but if I can find someone local that has some experience with this sort of thing, I'll probably stay local.

The Ruffstuff stiffeners look good, if I think I need to see them for myself, I'll PM you.

Thanks much for your offer!!

The Ruffstuff stiffeners look good, if I think I need to see them for myself, I'll PM you.

Thanks much for your offer!!
I have a set of RuffStuff stiffeners never used if you are interested let me know. Price will be better than their sale price, they are still wrapped in the shipping wrapper.

Rick

I have a set of RuffStuff stiffeners never used if you are interested let me know. Price will be better than their sale price, they are still wrapped in the shipping wrapper.

Rick

Hi Rick, do you have mids or mids and front?
Pretty silly for me to buy from Ruffstuff when you're stuck with a set you're not going to use.
If they're still in the shipping wrapper, is there a UPS store local to you where you could ship them to me? I understand shipping would be on my dime.

VF

Hi Rick, do you have mids or mids and front?
Pretty silly for me to buy from Ruffstuff when you're stuck with a set you're not going to use.
If they're still in the shipping wrapper, is there a UPS store local to you where you could ship them to me? I understand shipping would be on my dime.

VF
Responded.

Also have the entire Synergy long arm suspension kit with all new brackets half price $900 for everything. I will throw in the frame stiffeners if someone buys the Synergy kit. All new brackets, $1800 worth of suspension half price.

Rick

Just a follow up:

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I found a guy local to me and met with him yesterday.
He closed his off-road shop and built a shop on his property, what a great fab shop he has!
He also has installed stiffeners on XJ's before which is a plus in my mind. Got to see some of his work and he's first class and his quote for the work less than I expected. Win, win, win!

Thanks again for your help.

Back