• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.6L stroker in the works

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
I've had this posted on JeepStrokers.com for a while so I figured I would post this here.

I'm working on a new 4.6L stroker to replace that Titan stroker I have.

Basically, I am using .030" over KB944 forged pistons 4.0L rods, a 2000 block, comp cam 68-231-4. Harland Sharp roller rockers, 25lb injectors, 63mm throttle body, 2000 Turbo X coated Doug Thorley header, and a ported and polished head. I'm shooting for 9.58 static compression ration, 8.19 dynamic compression ratio and a .044" quench. I'm going to try to pull off running regular gas.

Main bearings - Clevite 77 TM - Ms1947P
Cam bearings - Clevite 77 - SH1980S
Rod bearings - Clevite - CB960P x6
Oil pump - Melling - mel-M81A
Freeze plugs - Pioneer - PE-256-BR
Rod bolts - ARP - 112-6001
Pistons - KB - KB 944
Crank spacer - Hesco
Timing set - JP performance Billet - JP5629
Crank - 4 counter weight 4.2L
Rods - 4.0L rods, polished and cryo tempered
Cam - Comp Cam - 68-231-4 - Comp cam
Lifters - comp-cam
Mopar Performance .041" MLS head gasket.

I had to modify the rod bearing because they orginally didn't have any occomidation for the oil squirt hole in the rods.

P1200304.JPG

P1200309.JPG

Polished rods:
P1200311.JPG

]img]http://jeep.blackonyx.net/forum/kb94446l/P1200314.JPG[/img]

The next pics are of the JP Performance timing set (on the right) compared to some single timing chain set. The JP set is a thing of beauty compared to the other one. One thing that is interesting is the number of teeth compared to the old one. The JP timing set has may more.. no, I am not counting them. Has anyone remived the tensioning block and removed it's brackets from the cover? Some where I heard that this is necessary on a double rolled set, but I don't remember where I picked that up.

P1200332.JPG

P1200340.JPG

Pistons:
P1200383.JPG

P1200371.JPG

I'm going to groove the lifter bores to push more oil to the cam lobes as well. Lifter bore grooving tool:
P1200389.JPG

nice. I want to do a lot of this on my second stroker. I want one for my MJ. The one I built for the cherokee works great, but a lot of stuff was used because I could get it right the hell now. Used a new timing chain, but not a double. Used off the shelf .060 over pistons. Reused the HO cam, that kind of thing. When I do it again for the MJ it will be built with a boost-laden future in mind. I want the Street MJ to be able to leave in one big hurry.

Yes. Out the sides of the rod bearing, which is then splashed onto the cylinder walls. I went through the same thing with my 401, the replacement rod bearings had no grooves and I thought they were critical to piston oiling. Consulted a few machine shops then installed them as is. No problems. Looks like you have it dealt with now anyway.

My thinking was along the lines of they were there from the factory.. maybe they are needed.. maybe they aren't... I don't see how doing so would damage the bearing, so lets break out the dremel.

Not a whole lot of action on this. The parts are at the machine shop.. and its was bear season.. and apparently the machinist is a big bear hunter... I knew it would take them a while but they do good work. Other than that I went to my storage unit to arrange things some and organize the parts. Also, I ordered a 136 amp alternator to swap in now. Since I need to grind the alternator mount and engine block to get it to fit I thought it would be easier to do that with the engine out of the bay. I am also working on some custom sill plates made from aluminum on the router.

I did receive my header back Thermal Tech Coatings, http://www.thermaltechcoatings.com/. I had it coated in their Turbo X 2000 coating which is good for 2000 degrees. Similar to Jet hot.

P1200480.JPG

P1200497.JPG

Also, I did a little custom touch on my oil pan
P1200523.JPG

And there is where my Jeep currently sits... my garage away from my garage.. its a storage unit
P1200530.JPG

I love this pic... it looks like it came straight out of a catalogue.

The parts are at the machine shop.. and its was bear season.. and apparently the machinist is a big bear hunter... I knew it would take them a while but they do good work.
I'd keep my fingers crossed your machinist doesn't come back mauled/ molested by bears. Nothing will screw up the quality of the work like a machinist with emotional baggage and a missing arm lol.

I love this pic... it looks like it came straight out of a catalogue.

I tried to get a pic of the whole header on the sheet, but the sheet wasn't large enough.

The only other option I had was renting a $400/mo commercial unit or dragging it up north where I would get to work on it like once a month. No one had a personal garage that they wanted to rent here and most storage unit wouldn't even let me work on a vehicle there. I just wish there was heat because installing this in the middle of winter isn't going to be any fun and that little kerosene heater doesn't work that well considering the building has a bunch of air leaks.

Back