• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

Saturday I swapped tires and wheels around. So I have 4 matching tires and on 4 matching wheels. Spare tire or wheel don't match the rest but its a full size spare. Lol

Did it myself to save some money but I need to balance them still up its not ready to drive yet. Just a few little things to do and holidays to work around.

Ordered one of these thingies. Now off to find a winch.

TX1wDJ9.jpg

Found a NOS M8000 winch with Haws to pair up with the comp mount. Didn't think I would find one that quick.

Weighs much more than I was expecting. Any reason to ditch the steel cable for weight savings? Researching synthetic VS. steel, isn't convincing me enough to switch. I'm a winch owner newb but have used several with steel cables.

I believe the fairlead in the comp mount will be slightly below the bottom of the bumper. I shouldn't have to mount a second fairlead. If anything I could simply notch the bumper a little.

replaced the cracked banks header with a cheap China one, I believe banks will be warranting the other when I get around to it. also had some Thermo tech FR from a previous project and threw it in for a heat shield, just out of curiousty.

I have a good amount of low end back now that there aren't 2 massive cracks. I can break the tires free from a standstill on dry pavement
ecf2c96b1dd85d620f5cb1950249b30c.jpg
df52772f9f0f8d80e866e9703763ab1a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

thought the cheapo manifold cracked after 16 miles, had some flex line welded in and took the banks to bates technical college to be tig welded. pulled the ebay one off to find I had a gasket blowout, threw the old banks in and it's leak free, warrantied revolver is in the mail
82ca36b715139dd1c146130569f6ca79.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My recently built D30 was leaking at both axle seals. A lot on the passenger side. My axle builder told me the reason it was leaking was due to residual oil left in the tube from the rebuild. He told me to raise the D side wheel and let the tube drain overnight. I was thinking what sloppy kind of work was that? But I did and by the next day, no more dripping oil. Guessed it was true. Topped off the diff oil and a few days later, drip drip!!! Drivers side was wet but not dripping. Because he got grouchy when I asked why my rear diff was making noise, I figured it wasn't worth driving over to the East side for axle seals.

Finally hit 500 miles so it was time to change the oil anyway. Ordered up a couple of Timken seals and thought I would give it a go. So today I did just that, replaced the axle seals. It was my first time doing this job. I have to admit I was a bit reluctant to pull the carrier out but I needed to learn how anyway.

Now, why was it leaking? I pictured in my head before starting the job, a big torn piece of seal for the amount of oil dripping on the ground everyday. Neither seal was torn or gouged. As a matter of fact I probably could have reused them but they looked low quality compared to the Timkens. The seals had lots of grit in them due to the tubes were not cleaned out prior to the shafts going back in. Also the seals were driven too deep in the seats and the outer seal flange was sitting on top of a heavily rusted area of the seat where the old seals never sat. I coated the outer seal surface with HondaBond and drove them in flush to the seal seat. Coated the seals and axle ends in RRG. Can you tell I work on bikes too?

Well, I hope I did everything right because I really don't want to do that again right away. Took it for about a 20 mile drive and checked for leaks. Nothing is pouring out but it might take a couple of days to show up if its a slow leak. Can't say it was fun but it wasn't too bad and would be more comfortable with it a second time. The weather was nice today.

Finally got around to changing the oil filter adapter o-rings. They had been leaking like crazy and it's now drip-free. It's an easy job, but kind of a pain-in-the-ass with that stupid T-60 bolt.

Relocated the radiator over flow tank with a tank from a Honda Odyssey. Also made and mounted the winch control box. More detail over in the modified forum.

9tZZHfO.jpg

m3Sybbk.jpg

Ordered and installed Adams drive shaft for the rear. Beefy compared to the stock front DS.

My $40 used double cardan drive shaft was giving me vibes. Apparently the slip splines were so bad it ate my new front pinion bearing or it loosened the crush sleeve. :gee:

Might get a new one for the front and use my old stock front for spare. Play in the splines of that one too.

Back