• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

yea when i went shopping for a new one, they start telling me allllll about the sweet no water ones. saves you all kinds of money in the long run plus there was some kind of knock off taxes or something. thats all good when you have been saving and working towards a nice new one, but when it comes out of nowhere and just pops that 300 buxs is better than 1200.

I'm pretty sure mine was pushing $400...I think it was an 80 gallon? Maybe only 60, but I don't know. I saw the tankless too, but didn't have the $1k to spend...there's usually only two of us using the hot water here so I don't think that we use too much.

mac 'plus when the world ends you'll have 60+ gallons of drinking water in the water heater' gyvr

I don't think it'd be THAT much more to put one connector or stud/bolt halfway up the cable... IMO the bean counters won on that decision. Same as they won on the 97+ XJ by putting the FPR and the fuel filter into one unit, clipped to the top of the tank, where you have to drop the tank to replace it and pay $140+ at the dealer for the unit.

every penny adds up to increased costs. If you make a $10 wire to $25 and do that for 1000 pieces on the car it gets expensive.

When I was working for USR/3Com, spending hundreds of thousands, if not millions in capital on manufacturing & testing equipment wasn't difficult. Adding a single 2 cent capacitor to a modem was a major war. Then again, when a single line was turning out finished modems every 6 seconds, and there were 8 parallel lines in that factory alone..... lessee.....that's over 115,000 modems in a day. An additional $10k to $20k in production costs, each and every day. It adds up in a hurry.

Bingo!

damn engineers (looks in the mirror :doh:)

every penny adds up to increased costs. If you make a $10 wire to $25 and do that for 1000 pieces on the car it gets expensive.

Bingo!

damn engineers (looks in the mirror :doh:)

You're most liiely a hands on engineer, so i'm guessing you're the kind of engineer that i don't want to knock sense into. Around here you can tell the engineers you can work with by how dirty their shirt is. The clean shirt engineers usually have no common sense. My line engineer is cool.....he owns automatic class 3 weaponry! :D

Last edited:
I am an engineer too... I just work on shit myself and know I would curse myself for that kind of a decision. So I would likely design it with the connector, then lose the bean counter battle and wash my hands of it (and my shirt.)

I am an engineer too... I just work on shit myself and know I would curse myself for that kind of a decision. So I would likely design it with the connector, then lose the bean counter battle and wash my hands of it (and my shirt.)
Thus speaketh the enginerd who builds bumpers in parking lots......

Completely agree. I do, do the same.

You're most liiely a hands on engineer, so i'm guessing you're the kind of engineer that i don't want to knock sense into. Around here you can tell the engineers you can work with by how dirty their shirt is. The clean shirt engineers usually have no common sense. My line engineer is cool.....he owns automatic class 3 weaponry! :D

well duh, I am a jeeper :wave: of course I want to strangle some of my co-workers once and a while but that is with any job any where.

I tore down a diesel engine at work yesterday and installed another in an application, Calibration/tuning starts tomorrow.

Wouldn't you have to be nuts to attend WF in the first place? I mean...... beyond the nutcases who are known to frequent said event, let's all go slog around an old quarry, in the mud, near freezing temps, and rain, snow or both?

Bonus points for showing up with half a shop to finish the build.

See ya'll next year? :D

If I have the money I'll be back for sure!

This time life might suck a bit more though. There is a good chance I am buying a J20 tomorrow... and selling the purple pig.

- Ken "van was great for sleeping but the J20 has a standard and a 360" Stein

edit: I built a bumper in the campground because I had to to go wheeling and I ran out of time before leaving. It wasn't really a voluntary thing, more "I have to do this if I am to end up where I want to be"... so I went for it.

Wouldn't you have to be nuts to attend WF in the first place? I mean...... beyond the nutcases who are known to frequent said event, let's all go slog around an old quarry, in the mud, near freezing temps, and rain, snow or both?

sounds fun...

i got asked if i was going camping a couple weeks ago. when i told him no, he responded with "what is it to warm out for you".

Camping...if you still call it that in my case...this weekend at the Badlands...

TREC it!

mac 'ranger prep' gyvr

Upper Tranny to Engine?

Just a guess... ;)

A project I have been working on as a XJ "Replacement"

picture.php

picture.php

Damn caneuter valve bolt I bet! :D

Just need to get some elbow grease.

Anyone know anything about Luminas? Brad? My roommate bought a lumina to scrap but it fired up the first time he turned the key. It dies when you put it in gear but runs fine in park and neutral.

Sounds like a vacuum leak of some sort or transmission control system problem.

Anyone know anything about Luminas? Brad? My roommate bought a lumina to scrap but it fired up the first time he turned the key. It dies when you put it in gear but runs fine in park and neutral.

MEEEEEE!

Generally crappy vehicles...unless you want an antifreeze fountain :D

Back