• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My BFG 31X10.50X15's measure 29 inches tall?

tire manufacturers cant read a tape measure apparently, happened to my buddy on pro comps, if you want true size its hard to find, interco is pretty good, guess they make them the right size since they wear like shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but grip like a demon comin out the grave

Almost all radial tires are smaller that what it says on the side of the tire. Each co is a little closer or farther off. Its normall... You didnt get ripped off, calm down.

Wheel size is also a determining factor of actual size. Not everybody runs the same wheel, and not every type of wheel will give you same height with the same type of tire.

Also air pressure is a factor as well. You certainly aren't running the tire at the max pressure that it can handle. You're probably in the 25-35 range. The lower the pressure, the shorter the tire is.

All of these are factors that can tweak your tire size. My 32's measure out to 30's so you're right on the same scale as me apparently, don't be concerned.

BFG's measure smaller than advertised. Firestones measure larger than advertised. My Dayton Timberlines (same as Firestone Destination MT) are 31's and measure almost 32". The BFG MT's that I'm buying are 35's but are closer to 34".

Every tire manufacturer is different.

The 31s I had measured right at 30".
29" sounds a little short. Are you measuring from the ground to the top or the true diameter?

I have a set of 30X9.50s that were right at 29 1/4" new.

How about the width on tires? That usually pretty accurate?

Not trying to hijack, just curious if those BFGs are 10.5" wide, or a little smaller...?

The width is less accurate then the height. They measure the width at the widest part of the carcass, not the tread face. Mount a 10.5" tire on a 10" rim, it will measure a lot wider then if you mount the same tire on a 8" rim.

Good to know...could you mount an 11.5" wide tire on a 7" rim? Bad juju for the sidewall?

Could you mount an 11.5" wide tire on a 7" rim? Bad juju for the sidewall?
Could? yes. Would? no. You'd probably run into some flack at most tire shops if you asked, but there are places that will do it. 11.5" tires are a little too wide for a 7" rim, but if you look around, you'll see them. 'Makes the tire look a little funny. Jeeps really don't weigh enough to cause issues that will tear up the tire carcass. The biggest problem would be handling. The narrow rim would allow the tread face to shift side to side in relation to the rim, and make the steering squirlly.

Good to know...could you mount an 11.5" wide tire on a 7" rim? Bad juju for the sidewall?

Ran BFG A/T 32/11.50 hard on stock 7" rim for a long time with nothing negative to report.

are you guys measuring your tyres with the load of the car on them? remember they compress with the weight of the jeep.

i think traditionally muddies are generally about 1/2" to 1" shorter than stated off the car with air.

but if you're getting 29" for a 31 off the car i'd say something is wrong.

i just measured my 31 mtz's and got 29.9"

and just measured my slightly worn 33 swampers and got 33.1"

Most "31's" spec out at 30.6-30.8" tall.

Swampers are one of the few tires that I have noticed to spec out larger than tire size.

Back