• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Edelbrock head ported

I know this is an old thread but I came across it while looking at options for an 0331; two questions:

1) would there be any serious benefit in putting this head, either stock or ported, on an otherwise stock 4.0 or does this only make sense in an application with more displacement, hot cam, etc.? Also keep in mind in my app I would need to retain Y2K exhaust for emissions, and likewise would have to keep stock PCM.

2) I saw the comment about a 2" seat for the intake limiting you to a smaller valve than you wanted to use; why not machine it out and press in a larger seat? Or are you worried there's not enough meat in the casting to safely do that? Just wondering.

Great thread BTW. Yeah I will probably just go with a TUPY or Clearwater head if/when the day comes, but I like to keep up on what I'd do if I had lots more $$$ :)

I know this is an old thread but I came across it while looking at options for an 0331; two questions:

1) would there be any serious benefit in putting this head, either stock or ported, on an otherwise stock 4.0 or does this only make sense in an application with more displacement, hot cam, etc.? Also keep in mind in my app I would need to retain Y2K exhaust for emissions, and likewise would have to keep stock PCM.

2) I saw the comment about a 2" seat for the intake limiting you to a smaller valve than you wanted to use; why not machine it out and press in a larger seat? Or are you worried there's not enough meat in the casting to safely do that? Just wondering.

Great thread BTW. Yeah I will probably just go with a TUPY or Clearwater head if/when the day comes, but I like to keep up on what I'd do if I had lots more $$$ :)
Honestly, from what it sounds like, all you need is a PnP head from Russ P to get you more in the direction you want to go.

I too need a replacement 0331 and started looking at this head. Quite honestly the one thing that would make me move to an aftermarket head instantly would be one that moves the intake and exhaust to different sides. Why on earth did Chrysler think this was a good idea, I don't know. One side of the engine bay is completely empty... while the other is busy baking the intake with the exhaust. Any such thing in the works?

I too need a replacement 0331 and started looking at this head. Quite honestly the one thing that would make me move to an aftermarket head instantly would be one that moves the intake and exhaust to different sides. Why on earth did Chrysler think this was a good idea, I don't know. One side of the engine bay is completely empty... while the other is busy baking the intake with the exhaust. Any such thing in the works?

They did it for the same reason every one else does it - push rods.

To do a crossflow head you need to be running an overhead cam. That drastically changes the engine design and just isn't necessary for the engine in the environment it was designed for.

Its also why you won't see anyone do it for the aftermarket.

Why on earth did Chrysler think this was a good idea, I don't know. One side of the engine bay is completely empty... while the other is busy baking the intake with the exhaust. Any such thing in the works?
Chrsyler didnt design it if they had it would have been slanted over 45degrees
The motor itself was designed in the 1960's and needed the exhaust heat to keep the fuel in suspension

They did it for the same reason every one else does it - push rods.

To do a crossflow head you need to be running an overhead cam. That drastically changes the engine design and just isn't necessary for the engine in the environment it was designed for.

Its also why you won't see anyone do it for the aftermarket.

Every V8 out there has intake on the inside along with the pushrods, and exhaust on the other/out side...

well, except my powerstroke, that's backasswards.

Chrsyler didnt design it if they had it would have been slanted over 45degrees
The motor itself was designed in the 1960's and needed the exhaust heat to keep the fuel in suspension

Good point, forgot about AMC... And yeah, fuel heat up was my original thought too... but you gotta say, from the early 90s till 2006, they could have mixed it up a lil'... :laugh:

These guys cracked me up with the heating of the intake/air...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPnoRu50s9M

Good point, forgot about AMC... And yeah, fuel heat up was my original thought too... but you gotta say, from the early 90s till 2006, they could have mixed it up a lil'.

No need, it it did its job exceptionally well and in my opinion is a way better motor than than the v6 that replaced it.

at .50 lift it's 5% difference between the 7120 and the ported Eddie. Biggest cam I can find for the 4.0 is .53 lift on intake, where its closer to 6%.
I don't see spending $1500 or so for that last few percent, myself, but it's a cool race part? Then again, with an aluminum head you can get a little more compression / ignition advance out of it without detonation. Might be a bigger upgrade than the flow numbers alone suggest.

I didn't realize until recently, all of the major cam manufacturers don't even charge you more $$$ for a 100% custom camshaft!

So off the shelf grinds might not be available to take advantage of such killer flow at high lift values, but it only takes a phone call to a cam manufacturer.

I'm also currently the owner of the exact head in this thread. My engine specs are:

-4.7L
-11:1 static CR
-Harland sharp roller rockers
-The ported head in this thread + matched intake
-70MM throttle body
-Doug thorley header, ported a bit by me to help the exhaust ports match up a bit better. 3" outlet/open no muffler or cats
-Custom cam from comp cams. Something in the neighborhood of .590 intake, .600 exhaust, duration @ .050 of 224 int/230 exh on a 113 LSA. This is a rough estimate after talking with them. Not sure on final numbers, might be a little less duration.

I'm honestly striving for 350 HP on 93 octane.

350 horse from 287 cubes is about 1.22 horse per cube.
For perspective, that's the same ratio as a Chevy 350 making about 425 horsepower.
I don't know the I6 well enough to say. Sounds doable. It's going to take 330 ft lbs at 5600 RPM, which sounds ambitious. Post burnout vids if you do it!

350 horse from 287 cubes is about 1.22 horse per cube.
For perspective, that's the same ratio as a Chevy 350 making about 425 horsepower.
I don't know the I6 well enough to say. Sounds doable. It's going to take 330 ft lbs at 5600 RPM, which sounds ambitious. Post burnout vids if you do it!

Agreed. I break it down to HP per cube also. A better perspective is actually a stroked 350. If you chop 2 cyl off of a 383 SBC its 287 CI.

I ordered my Cam. I changed directions a bit. I got a custom Solid flat tappet from Lunati.

Lift with 1.65's: .546 intake/.571 exhaust
Duration @ .050 233 intake/241 exhaust

I ordered my Cam. I changed directions a bit. I got a custom Solid flat tappet from Lunati.

What are you doing for valve lash adjustment?

Yes, I wonder what application they are for? HS doesn't list them on their site, at least for the 4.0 !

Yes, I wonder what application they are for? HS doesn't list them on their site, at least for the 4.0 !

From what I recall it's the same part numbers with an "A" on the end (I presume for adjustable)

My HS 1.65 adjustables are PN# S40196A

Russ sells them if you need them.

It would have been something to consider as I had to shim mine to compensate for the block/head surfacing. Interested to know if you have to run a raised valve cover as stated on Summit's site? I got away with my ARP studs by only removing the baffle!
P1080520_zpsjbqdlveo.jpg

I would just call and speak with Russ directly, there is not much that he can't work with. (626)967-1000

Back