• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Barret Lake 10/6 ?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Does anyone want to wheel Barret on the weekend of 10/6? I still need to do some exhaust work on the red jeep before this trip and I wont have time to touch it until 9/29 more than likely.

We could be a little flexible on dates possibly but I was thinking of going in Friday night after work and maybe camping near the trial head.

Anyone else down to go? So far its just me with josh jenson as my co pilot

With at least a front locker you would do fine. I would say it depends on your driving. It is a rough trail with the first 100 yards the worst.

What trails have you run? What armor? Spare parts?

I mostly play all over off of MET since its pretty much the back yard. Did Slick Rock over in Stanislaus National Forest not to long ago. Made it through fine no issues.

Armor so far is 2x6 rocker replacement, Iron Rock gas tank skid. The front recovery points and hitch also seems to protect the front bumper a little and ruff stuff stiffeners don't seem to mind rocks either. Spares for the usual things. Dana 30 shafts, U-joints and a driveshaft. Don't have a spare yet for the 8.25 but its 29 spline so I don't usually worry about it.

I'm not a throttle junkie and I typically prefer to find a clean line rather than bang and slide off of everything.

I understand if you guys are like "This might not be the one for you dude":) Id rather listen to experience and be humble than be a boat anchor on the trail.

Heres a clip from our slick Rock trip. Im spotting, my buddy Ralph is driving 1st, then my 'ol lady and Im the blue one at the end. This was in my opinion the most complicated part of the trail.

https://youtu.be/tv1KCNKGSB0

Last edited:
We had a member break a 29 spline 8.25 chromo recently up there on Deer Valley . Not likely, but Barret is supposedly harder than DV/SR so it would be so spare shafts would be a good call for a stock 8.25.

what gearing are you running? Chromos front/rear? what tcase are you running ? a 4:1 ? Do you bring plenty of trail tools and spares other than D30 shafts ? (A good jack, driveshafts, I joints, impacts, all proper sockets for your rig , axle nut sockets, etc etc) for yourself as well ?

4.56 gears and stock shafts all around. Haven't had the experience of breaking anything yet other than the occasional U-joint. Those were more failure from being old than broken from wheeling. Currently a stock 231 t-case so no 4:1 or anything fancy.

As far as tools go, yea I think I bring everything I would need to fix anything that might come up. I don't have the ability to weld on the trail or anything like that but usually anything I would need to perform any repairs. Yep, battery impacts, special sockets rtv, spare belts, additional fluids. Generally I like to think Im pretty prepared but Murphy has a way of knowing the one tool you forget. haha.

4.56 gears and stock shafts all around. Haven't had the experience of breaking anything yet other than the occasional U-joint. Those were more failure from being old than broken from wheeling. Currently a stock 231 t-case so no 4:1 or anything fancy.

As far as tools go, yea I think I bring everything I would need to fix anything that might come up. I don't have the ability to weld on the trail or anything like that but usually anything I would need to perform any repairs. Yep, battery impacts, special sockets rtv, spare belts, additional fluids. Generally I like to think Im pretty prepared but Murphy has a way of knowing the one tool you forget. haha.

I would definitely acquire spare shafts before running Barrett Lake, especially if you are running lockers.

just did Barrett 2 weeks ago, trail is in great shape but yes you will need at least 1 locker, and 33"s will be sketchy. The rock garden is pretty dug out which makes the rocks pretty big. Be careful coming off the bridge on the way in, it can get real tippy, stay to the left and go up the rock face instead of toward the tree which looks easier, but is not. You will definitely need upgraded steering, Barrett has lots of tight technical turns with big rocks that will eat stock tie rods.

Thanks for the info.. Running curry steering but no lockers, and truetrac LSD front and rear instead. Ball joints are full metal G2. Axles are all stock otherwise, so its probably best to wait till you guys are running an easier trail for me to tag along.

just did Barrett 2 weeks ago, trail is in great shape but yes you will need at least 1 locker, and 33"s will be sketchy. The rock garden is pretty dug out which makes the rocks pretty big. Be careful coming off the bridge on the way in, it can get real tippy, stay to the left and go up the rock face instead of toward the tree which looks easier, but is not. You will definitely need upgraded steering, Barrett has lots of tight technical turns with big rocks that will eat stock tie rods.

Thanks for the trail report Jeff. I might get motivated to fix my locker and I'll just bring my rig too.

Thanks for the info.. Running curry steering but no lockers, and truetrac LSD front and rear instead. Ball joints are full metal G2. Axles are all stock otherwise, so its probably best to wait till you guys are running an easier trail for me to tag along.

If I can get my locker fixed you could ride with me to see what you avoided and meet some new folks.

its a great trail, one of favorites. I need to start wheeling with you guys again. Ive been caught up in the jet boat scene for a while now but its time to get back to wheelin :)

Lets plan on 35s/gears/one locker with exceptions for 33s/2 full lockers/gears/4:1 tcase.

...upgraded leaf center pins...

Yeah thats a good call, we have had someone bust both center pins on every official nadia run this year!!! Please, Upgrade your center pins to at least 3/8" , if not 7/16s, and carry spares no matter what !!! make sure your U bolts are torqued to spec !!

Any specific brands that you can recommend or where to buy them?

Back