• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving VS Towing

Driving or towing

• towing

Votes: 34 77.3%
  • driving

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • other? explain

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
If we haven't managed to sell our house by then, we'll be towing with the diesel van, about the same fuel economy, way more comfortable.

If we have sold, we'll only be 6 hours away, near Sedona, probably just drive the jeep.

Unless you are set on LV, since you are not THAT far from there, Mesquite would split up your trip better.
Although, depending on schedules we could meet up in LV or wherever and caravan the rest of the way.

I wish I had a tow rig, but I don't. So I'll be driving with a stopover in Las Vegas along the way. That'll make for a short first leg and a much longer second leg, but I'll be able to get a room comped and may even get lucky at the craps tables. It could happen!

To comment on drive vs tow, I drove for the 30th. Stopped in Vegas on the way/way back. At the time, had "free nights" at the Plaza, Otherwise, might have considered staying is Mesquite.
The only thing that I broke on the trip was a tail light housing.
Unless I happen to get an amazing deal on a tow rig/trailer, will be driving.

Last edited:
Unless you are set on LV, since you are not THAT far from there, Mesquite would split up your trip better.
Although, depending on schedules we could meet up in LV or wherever and caravan the rest of the way.

I don’t think even Al is old enough to be gambling in Mesquite!

After what happened last time, I'll be towing.

JIM.

Driving - 350 miles! Plus I never tow it!

I looked into it a couple of years ago. The couple of places I checked had pretty low tow weight limits built into the rental agreement. Basically, they'd let you flat tow a Yugo. Enforcement, of course, is pretty much on the honor system . . . unless an accident were to occur. I opted not to take that chance.

Fill the tires with helium, duh.

Noah and I are looking at options. In theory, we have one Dodge 2500 diesel for a tow pig, but we need to haul a 20' travel trailer, Gomer and Lil' Gomer. Not sure the 2500 can tow all three pieces.

I would certainly consider shipping the Jeeps. Having two makes it more challenging. I'd also consider going in with someone on a group "rent", or getting a deal on a car carrier.

David Bricker / SYR

Chicago to Moab and back cost me around $800 in gas. That's towing the Jeep behind a 2500 gasser. I think the gas was half that when I drove the Jeep out there.
And this is basically the reason I trust to drive my Jeep there. Worst case scenario, I drive your Jeep home and you pull mine, although I would spend more in gas than the 2500

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I would like to get a tow rig and trailer by then but we will see. If not I will drive because I am going to Moab for this NAXJA event. It between 920-990 miles one way. I am looking forward to it.

I drove from CA in 2008, but with the longer drive from TX, plus the diesel canyon in my driveway, I think towing is the way to go

We will be driving our Class A and flat towing our XJ from Lakewood, CA. We've flat towed to other camp spots just fine and this one will be a bit longer, but totally doable.

19961588_1511328105598046_4756980533412292777_n.jpg

We will be taking both the XJ and the Suburban. I think the Suburban would be maxed out loaded down with camping gear and towing the XJ on a fullsize car trailer, so I might drive the Jeep and Shannon drive the Suburban. Or we might flat tow the XJ. Both have to get there and both have to come home, we will figure out something.

Apparently our "whimpy" 2006 Suburban is rated to tow 7600 lbs, more than enough for the XJ on a trailer.... so who has a trailer the will hold a XJ and isn't using it in Oct 2018?

Back